Chapter Ten

Sighing she said " I have to tell you right from the beginning..." She trails. "You see Umma Magajiya wasn't the first wife of the king. Nuwaira was..."

"Nuwaira?" I asked intrigued "Who is Nuwaira".

"Fahad's mother" she added
as I open my mouth to a wordless "ooohhhh".

"Our dad was supposed to marry Umma Magajiya. You know who her family are? sarkin yamma from Katsina. her family are not directly involved in the Emirates. They are kind of distance family, and our Dad said he never liked her, he was just doing it out of duty cause it was his Dad that wanted it, even his mother never liked Sadiya".

"I think it was just a week remaining for the engagement, on his way to Abuja he meet Nuwaira on the plane, that's how he fall in love with her at first sight as he said"

Just listening to the story makes me cringe. Is that even possible?

"Nuwaira is from Adamawa state, Fulani by tribe...."

"That's why the prince looks like Fulani, his fair skin, nose ahhh!" I exclaimed clapping my hands "and also his curly hair".

"Yeah, was a true Fulani, wait until you see her pictures". Sultana answered laughing.

"Do you have it around" I asked already eager to see it.

"Most of her pictures are with him and some are with the king you'll see their resemblance once you see it".

Shaking my head I asked "then what happened?".

"Once he came back to Kano, he refused to listen to anyone about Sadiya and luckily for him, his Mom don't like her either so it wasn't long before he convinced his dad to let him marry Nuwaira and being the only son, his Dad agreed"

"They got married and after I think 3years he lost his Dad which means he had to be the king now, he was crowned the king but after the coronation, issues start to arise for the fact that Nuwaira hasn't giving birth yet. That's how they survive another two years in agony cause some have even started calling her barren. It went to a point where they started forcing the king to either get married again or he will be striped as the king".

"But that's horrible, does that law still apply?" I asked cutting her through.

"Yeah, it does especially when there is no apparent hair to the throne".

Checking her wrist watch "Nawal, please stop cutting me every now and again, if not we'll not have time to finish it" She complained

"Alright, OK I'll be quiet now".

She smile as she continue with
"That's when about Sadiya was bought up again, cause she still wasn't married, the king doesn't even know cause he was willing to step down than to marry another wife. It was Nuwaira that did everything including begging Sadiya and her parents to agree"

"That's how Umma Magajiya happens to come to this house, and you know how Umma Magajiya is, right from the moment she came she has been her Umma Magajiya's self, rude conniving, arrogant and showing that she is better than everyone".

"People that where working then, said that Queen Nuwaira is such a nice person that she tolerate all of Umma Magajiya's trouble, especially being the Magajiya then".

The way sultana's eyes where soft talking about this Nuwaira I kinda wish I knew her but then I had to ask
"Is the Magajiya some sort of a title, I thought is just a traditional name".

"Traditional, yes but it also means that Magajiya is the most powerful person in the whole palace after the King, which means that whatever she said or do no one dares question her authority, except for the king".