41

When Yunho finally woke up, it was due to a violent fit of coughing that made his entire body ache. His vision blurred as he rolled over and tucked into himself and tried to fight the feeling that he was going to cough up his own lung.

Hands were on his shoulder and back, rubbing him gently, while a voice tried to break through the ringing in his ears.

He had no idea where he was, what time it was, or what was going on. But there was one thing he knew.

He needed San.

And he tried to call out for him in between coughs.

The voice was still trying to break through the fuzz in his head and he put everything he had into focusing on the sound.

"...ea... De...ath..."

It was getting a little clearer.

Yunho took a deep breath and tried to calm down.

"That's it. Keep breathing. You're ok."

He turned his head and everything stopped for him in that instant, because San was leaning over him with a bright, tear filled smile.

And he looked absolutely perfect.

"Sannie." Yunho gasped, pulling San into as tight of a hug as he could with his weak body. "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry." He whispered over and over again before he started coughing.

"Calm down." San said, rubbing the back of Yunho's head gently.

Yunho closed his eyes and groaned at the pain.

San shifted so he was laying down as well and pulled the older's head into his chest. Yunho tilted his head so that he could hear San's heart beating. That sound alone helped him calm down and come back to reality.

"What happened?" He whispered, keeping his eyes closed.

The younger started running his nimbler fingers through Yunho's hair and he smiled a little. This had to be one of his favorite feelings. It was something Yuri used to do...

"What do you remember?"

Yunho's forehead scrunched as he tried to think. "I... I remember running from you." He whispered, holding San tighter as he spoke. "And driving, but most of that is a blur. I think I remember going to the graveyard, and Hongjoong coming. But... After that it's just blank."

San let out a soft hum as he continued his gentle rubbing. "Hongjoong said that you were a few feet from the car when you collapsed. You've been asleep for a few days now and sick with a high fever. I was worried some of your scratches were infected, but I think it was a combination of the stress and the rain."

Yunho swallowed the lump in his throat and pressed his face harder into San's chest.

"Yunie... There's a lot that has happened. The compound is gone."

"What do you mean?" He tilted his head back and watched as San struggled to find the words to say. Then he looked around the room once more and didn't recognize anything. "Where are we?"

The younger was about to speak when the door to the room opened. "San? Are you... Yunho!" Hongjoong rushed forward and leaned over San to place a hand on Yunho's cheek. "I am so glad to see that you're awake."

"Hey Joong." He said weakly, not letting go of San. He was too afraid that if he did, the younger would disappear after everything that had happened.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like shit."

Hongjoong chuckled. "I bet."

"What happened?" Yunho asked, looking between the two of them.