[20]

"So, how'd you meet Ken?" Hoseok asks as him and Seokjin are eating dinner after school. They had passed their exams for the semester and decided to go out to celebrate.

"He was my friend in elementary." Seokjin says. "He was one of my only friends, next to Yoongi. He had moved away but I guess he came back."

Hoseok nods. "Isn't it a little weird he came back now?"

Seokjin furrows his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know, it's a little weird to come in the middle of the semester. I thought he'd atleast come in the beginning or wait for the next. Not many people come in the middle of one." Hoseok explains.

"Hmm, I guess you're right. It is weird. Even you came in the beginning of the year. Maybe it's because of money? I don't know, i'll have to ask him."

"Isn't he a little awkward too? I mean, he barely talks. He just...stares at you. He's barely talked like, three sentences with me over these past few months. And I know he isn't shy. I've seen him talking to others too. He's weird."

Seokjin looks at Hoseok. "Yeah he is. He's always been like that since we were little. I didn't think anything of it then, but now that I think about it, it's really weird. I need to talk to him. We haven't talked much, he just stays there. I make most of the conversation most of the time."

"I think you should. He could've changed all these years. You never know. You can't trust many people these days." Hoseok sighs and shakes his head.

"Yeah, I shouldn't trust you!" Seokjin points at Hoseok.

"What do you mean?! I'm the most trustable person ever!"

"Right! Says the one who lies into being my friend who was actually spying on me for Taehyung."

"I-that was a one time thing! I wouldn't do that again! At least we are friends!" Hoseok counteracts.

"I hope it was only a one time thing." Seokjin says as he glances at Hoseok up and down.

"Jin! Stop checking me out like i'm a stranger." Hoseok says with a laugh.

"I don't know if I can trust you anymore." Seokjin says as he looks at him with fake pleading eyes.

Hoseok takes his hands. "What shall I do to regain your trust, kind sir?" he jokes.

Seokjin looks around. "Hmm...how about...you buy me as much ice cream as I want? Maybe i'll think about it." he says with a shrug.

Hoseok bows while sitting. "Oh yes sir. Anything!"

"Very well. Let's get going then." Seokjin says while trying to hold back a laugh.

Hoseok gets up. "Yes sir." he says with a hand salute.

Seokjin can't hold it in anymore and he lets out his loud windshield wiper laugh. Hoseok starts laughing loudly while clutching his stomach. The other people in the restaurant look at them weirdly. They fell embarrassed so they pay for their food and go home.

***

NEXT DAY

Seokjin finishes closing the shop. Hoseok had an appointment so he had to leave early. Ken hadn't shown up for work, which Seokjin found weird. He hadn't even texted him to let him know prior.

Seokjin puts his keys in his backpack before starting his walk to school. He had closed a bit earlier since he didn't really have a reason to stay longer. He takes in the scenery of the outside. It was now winter and the sky was gray. He knew it was also the worst time for him. He'd always get cold easily, so he kept heating pads in his pockets at all times.

He hears footsteps behind him so he looks back; he sees Ken running full speed at him. He turns all the way.

"I'm sorry Jin. I woke up really late. You know, I stayed up late studying for the Math test today."

"Oh yeah. It's fine Ken."

They begin walking side by side. Seokjin feels Ken's gaze on him.

"Your friend didn't come?" Ken asks, his eyes never leaving Seokjin.

"Oh, no. He had to leave for an appointment." Seokjin says but keeps looking straight. Maybe this is the perfect time to talk to him.

"Hey,uh I had a question. I hope you don't get offended by it." Seokjin asks as he glances at Ken.

"No, it's fine. You'd never offend me Seokjinnie." Ken says as he pats Seokjin's head.

"Why are you here?" Seokjin deadpans.

Ken looks at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, why did you come in the middle of the semester. Isn't that weird? Also it's harder to transfer schools in the middle of a semester than at the beginning of one."

"Jin. I told you, I didn't have the money. I can't believe you don't trust me."

"I do trust you. I just find it weird. Even Hobi finds it weird."

"Who?"

"Hobi! My friend who's always here with us."

"Oh! Hoseok. I just never heard you refer to him as that."

"I always refer to him as that."

"Really? I guess I never noticed."

'This is really weird. How does he not notice THAT' Seokjin thinks to himself.

They walk in silence. Seokjin wants to ask more, but he feels as if Ken is hiding a few things.

"Why'd you ask me about my love life?" Seokjin asks. Even if he was just asking about Yoongi, how did he even remember that? It had been many years ago. Not everyone cares about remembering their friend's crush from 13 years ago.

"I just wanted to know. I was always curious to why you're single. I mean, look at you." Ken says as he looks at Seokjin up and down.

"Looks aren't everything Ken."

"To a lot of people they are."

"But why Yoongi? How do you even remember him?"

Ken stays silent. "I heard you and Hoseok talking about him one day."

"Me and Hoseok don't talk about him. Are you sure? I don't care, I just want to know the truth." Seokjin says. They have never talked about Yoongi. Hoseok knows the pain it brings Seokjin, why would they talk about him?

"Yes, you have. I guess you didn't notice, but you have."

"But-"

"Can you stop interrogating me? It's getting annoying. You're treating me as if we're strangers. I told you the truth, there's no reason for me to have to explain myself twice. If you were really my friend, you wouldn't even be questioning me. Can you just drop this?" Ken says agitated.

Seokjin is taken aback by his outburst so he just stays quiet. They reach their school and go to their class. Unfortunately, they have it together.

After the conversation, they didn't talk again. It would be awkward to. Seokjin just wonders why Ken got so mad by the questions. He thinks there's something going on that he doesn't know about. He doesn't know if he wants to find out either.

•••

thank you so much for 3K reads. 😭💜 i love you 💜💜. i hope you're all enjoying the story so far. remember, everything isn't what it seems 😏.