[Fifty-One]

The line on the other end rang incessantly, a stark contrast to the silence in his room

The line on the other end rang incessantly, a stark contrast to the silence in his room. Jung-kook had been trying to reach his daughter ever since yesterday when Mrs. Jeon gave an ultimatum. Cancel the wedding or Eun-hye's no longer part of the Jeon family: disowned, discarded, basically non-existent.

After perhaps the hundredth attempt, a familiar but disgruntled voice came on.

"What now?"

"Is that how you greet your father? Remember me?" Jung-kook hoped to diffuse the awkward tension by cracking a joke, but hearing his daughter's icy tone made his heart sink.

"Whatever you're trying to say will not work on me, Dad."

The man smiled at the endearment. It was better than nothing.

"I understand, but I'm giving it a shot," Jung-kook conceded. "Just letting you know your grandma said if you don't cancel your wedding, that you're no longer a member of the family."

"When has she ever considered me as a kin?" Eun-hye asked.

Jung-kook hesitated, unsure how to respond.

Eun-hye continued. "Just because she didn't treat me as bad as she did my mother, that doesn't mean that she welcomed me with open arms. Besides, even if I get married to someone she approved of, I still won't be part of the Jeons."

There was some truth in his daughter's words that he couldn't deny. Eun-hye had the courage he lacked when it came to fighting for their own happiness, and he would not blame her for it. Jung-kook eased his grip on the phone and smiled.

"Once your heart's set on something, it's pretty hard to talk you out of it."

"I'm sorry, Dad."

"That's okay. Don't worry, I still love you," Jung-kook said, holding back the tears threatening to fall. Most likely, he would never see his daughter again, but even if it meant losing her so she would gain her happiness, it was worth the sacrifice.

"I.... I love you too, Dad," Eun-hye responded, grateful that her father understood. Maybe one day, there'll be a time when both families could all gather in peace and harmony, but that's the stuff of fairy tales.