[Seventy-eight]

"What in heavens are you trying to do? Kill yourself?"

Jung-kook tried to compose himself before looking up at a pair of haggard eyes.

"Well? If somebody has to die, I would rather it be me."

Confused, Jung-kook studied the pallid face with the sunken cheeks, and the almost bald, spotted head. A sense of familiarity dawned on him as he stuttered.

"Jimin.... how?"

"Took you long enough to recognize me, Jung-kook. Fancy meeting you here. Are you in the city on business?" Jimin queried, taking in Jung-kook's brownish plaid suit and black suitcase.

"No, actually, I live around the area," Jung-kook responded.

"I see. So, what do you do now?"

Jung-kook hesitated, but saw no reason to lie. "I... I'm a teacher."

A look of surprise flashed across Jimin's face. "I would have thought you'd be taking over your family business, but teaching is a noble profession. I am glad that you are walking on your own path, and out of your mother's shadows."

"Umm. Thank you, Jimin. So, what brings you here?"

"I'm just about to go to that school behind you, to meet some of my grandson's teachers. One in particular, as he often mentioned this fellow, to be looking after him and keeping him grounded. Remember my grandson, Taemin?"

Jung-kook nodded, unsure whether he should say anything further.

"Anyway, so I have to catch this Mr. Joon before he leaves, and since I'm old and cannot walk fast enough, I'll bid you goodbye."

"Mr. Joon?"

"Yes, he's the teacher Taemin gushes about, says he is a forward-thinker and a traditionalist at the same time. Espouses the importance of community on one hand and encourages individual thought on the other. So I am going to thank him for motivating my grandson, because God knows if he would have stayed in school if it weren't for some of his teachers."

Jung-kook blushed. "Your grandson is a smart kid, Jimin. You need not worry about him. He just needs some guidance but does well on his own."

The smile on Jimin's lips froze. "Wait. Are you saying you're his teacher??"