[Fifty-five]

"Excuse me, sir, can you please tell me where this street is?" A man asked, pointing to the address written on the back of a picture

The villager gestured animatedly, repeating phrases as if his audience was hard of hearing.

The guy nodded and smiled as if he understood the farmer with a strong local accent. He hoped he'll remember the "lefts" and "rights" indicated by the local's hands. He had nothing else to go by, except for the old photograph resting on the passenger seat.

A few days ago, he had pulled out an album that Eun-hye kept in their study. He knew nothing of Eun-hye's family aside from what he'd been told, and it wasn't very much. He didn't pry any further than what was offered, but now curiosity got the better of him, especially since Taemin's birth. Family's still family, after all.

Half an hour later, the chap arrived at the village entrance marked by a pile of rocks. Ditching his vehicle by the roadside, he followed along the narrow road, trying to find the largest hanok near the top of the hill. It's not long before he spotted a structure similar to the one in the picture he's holding. This must be it.

Eun-hye wasn't kidding when she said she grew up in "probably the biggest farmhouse in South Korea." Typical dwellings in the area were smaller in scale: roofs consisting of rice straw, pillars from wood, walls from stone and floors made from clay. The Jeon's residence, in contrast, had tiled rooftops with intricate designs, and instead of windows from tree pulp, theirs were made of glass.

Rather than feeling envious of the opulence, it disheartened him, because as far as he could tell, Eun-hye didn't have a good relationship with her family despite the trappings of wealth. He's hoping that this trip would change that.

Eun-hye's pessimism did not deter him from visiting his in-laws. He left this morning telling nobody where he's going or what he's planning to do. He sometimes travelled for work that it wasn't out of ordinary for him to stay out for a night. Technically, he's also coming here for business, albeit a family one at that.

The fellow moved towards the entrance when he spied some locals leaving their houses. They peered at him, probably because he's sitting in an electric-powered wheelchair that became muddied as it went up the terrain. Taehyung was even surprised that he made it this far without tumbling.

If his family knew this, he would be chided. But this wasn't the time nor the place to be thinking these things. Taehyung had more important matters to attend to.