[Seventy-nine]

"One of them, at least," Jung-kook mumbled

There was no need for Jung-kook to deny at this point; Jimin would have sought him out anyway. But the following reaction from Jimin was certainly unexpected.

"Thank you, Jung-kook," Jimin responded as he held out a hand, calloused from the years gone by.

"You're not mad?" Jung-kook queried as he took the extended fingers in his own.

Jimin shook his head. "I am in no position to be angry, Jung-kook, especially after driving you away from your own family. In fact, I apologize for being selfish all these years I prevented you from visiting us."

"It is not entirely your fault, Jimin. We are all to blame, including me. I would have said, it was the circumstances that made us do it, made us decide the things we did back then, but ultimately we all had a choice, whether to conform to the dictates of our parents or to yield to the desires of our children."

"I wish that I am as enlightened as you are, but I am afraid it is too late for me now."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm talking about the limits imposed by time, Jung-kook."

"But we're the same age?"

"Ah, yes, but my luck has run its course, probably because I stole Taehyung away from you. Now, I'm dying."

"Don't be so grim, Jimin. You're spouting nonsense."

"Nonsense was the story we concocted to fool our beloved into believing the worst of you, and for that, I'm paying the price now."

Jung-kook winced at the forlorn words that came out of the other man's mouth. Despite what happened, he was genuinely sad and extremely grateful that Jimin loved Taehyung as much as he did, and took care of him when he couldn't.

"You cannot leave Taehyung alone, Jimin. He would be devastated. Don't give him up."

"I'm not giving him up, Jung-kook. After almost fifty years, I'm returning him to you."