Chapter 9

I.

The day had been long and quite exhausting, a morning filled with new deals and contracts and an afternoon with driving lessons. She found it harder than she thought to drive on the right side. Despite all this, Diana was excited with her first American football experience, though she didn't understand anything about the rules.

They had settled for dinner before the game and though they had worked all morning together, Diana was anxious to see him again. He had occupied part of her thoughts that afternoon. She wondered once more why she felt so at ease near him. She wondered why she had the feeling she knew him, and she was certain that she didn't. Their life had never crossed paths. They had never encountered before. It was easy to talk to him and he made her laugh quite easily. She liked being near him, he made her feel comfortable.

Diana showered and changed to black tight jeans with a grey silk sleeveless shirt. That night she decided to shadow her eyes black and wear some mascara that made the blue of her eyes even bluer. To her feet she decided for the flat black sandals because she knew she needed to be comfortable in a football stadium, if that's what they call it in America. She was used to stadiums and their dynamics; she was a huge Chelsea supporter who tried not to miss a match. Grabbing her purse, she went to the living room. Pam was there watching TV.

"Aren't you dinning home?" Pam asked seeing her ready to go out.

"James is taking me to football tonight." Diana smiled. Pam smiled back at her and slightly shook her head. Was that a sign of disapproval, Diana thought. Her eyebrow curled as the thoughts took form inside her mind and Pam threw her hands in the air as a peace sign.

"I didn't mean anything by it." She told her.

"You were shaking your head..." Diana pointed out, sitting by her side.

"It wasn't meant like that, really." Pam reassured. "It just seems like James and you are, all of a sudden, so close..."

"I know we just met a couple of days ago...I know that..." Diana agreed. It was strange to her too. "...but we get along quite well and we like each other's company."

"He invited you?" Pam asked and Diana nodded. "You know...I don't know if I should be telling you this..." Pam shook her head and then shut up. "....it's nothing." She said deciding to stay away from whatever was going on between them.

"Oh no Pam..." Diana told her. ".... you start something you must finish it."

"It's nothing, really...James is a good guy and he's a funny person to be around of."

"But?" Diana asked.

"There's no but..." Pam patted her leg. "...have fun, that's all." A soft smile came across her lips which put some rest in her racing heart.

"It seems like there is a but to me." Diana insisted looking in her brown eyes.

"I like James as a big brother..." Pam said. "...I can see he feels good around you too. I've never seen him being so confident near a stranger before, so I think that's a good thing."

Diana smiled. "I thought he had some dark secret or something..." She laughed loud in the end making Pamela laugh too.

"No...he's a troubled soul, that's all."

"I know he's been arrested a couple of times..." Diana proceeded. "...but it was nothing serious." Pamela laughed again.

"He was a rebel young man."

"I know, he still is a little." Pamela nodded agreeing with her. Meanwhile, the doorbell rang.

"It must be him. Have fun." Pamela said.