Chapter 55

San Francisco...

A week later.

Diana was on the couch of their living room. It was a moody day. It was raining and the clouds were so low that you could see them in between the trees in the hills that surrounded their house. The trees in the garden had lost all their leaves by then but all the rest was greener than ever. The constant humidity and the rain that fell kept the grass alive. The drizzle fell silently for the drops were thin and small, but it fell steady, nonstop. Diana gazed outside feeling her body still aching a little. Her bruises were still visible, especially the one near her eye and on her forehead. It had been a rough fall and whenever she moved it hurt somewhere, though everything was healing. She had been released from the hospital the day after but with orders to rest and thus, she rested as much as she could.

"Hey!" James entered the living room smiling. "Are you alright?" He asked kissing her lips and then sitting on the edge of the couch looking down at her.

Diana looked at him and smiled. He had just finished his shower and his scent had filled the living room with an incredible aroma. His hair still wet and messy for he didn't bother to comb it. She was sure he had just ran his fingers over it, like he did so many times and still look perfect.

"My body aches a little." She told him. "You look hot." She giggled and he did too.

"I do?" He joked. "I am only wearing a pair of old black jeans and a white shirt." He said smirking.

"You don't need much to look hot." Diana smiled looking at him. "Jeans and a shirt are enough."

James ran a hand over her hair and looked down at her as she winced lightly and lost the smile on his lips. It hurt him deeply to see her so fragile and wounded.

"Do you want me to grab a pill?" He asked and Diana shook her head. "But sweetie, you are in pain. The doctor said it was safe, Di." James insisted. "You don't have to go cold turkey through this. He knows you are pregnant. He prescribed you a safe medicine."

"Not safe." She argued. "One that had minor chances of harming the baby."

"I take it, it is safe." James told her. "You are in pain, babe."

"I can take it." Diana breathed.

James bent over her and kissed her lips, then he ran a hand over her hair looking in her eyes adoringly.

"Can I get you some tea then? Maybe it will help?" He offered.

Diana smiled. "You should go back to work." She said instead.

James sat straight immediately. "But... no..." He shook his head. "It doesn't make any sense. You are convalescent, pregnant. I need to be here with you."

"It's been a week, babe!" She exclaimed. "You need to go there. You cannot just leave it. There are so many things happening. Even I should be there!"

James frowned a huge frown. One that brought his eyebrows together forming a v line as he did so. A grunt escaped his throat.

"But there is no way that you are going to work!" He told her right away. Then, he got up and pointed a finger at her. "Di, you need to recover. You are in pain. What the hell, babe?"

"I am feeling bored as hell too." She said and then winced. "Oh... Jesus... my ribs do kill me."

James crouched near her and grabbed her hand with his. "What can I do?" He asked feeling so impotent to help her.

"Kiss me..." She smiled and he did too.

James approached his face to hers and smiled softly down at her again. He rubbed his nose on hers first and then kissed her lips with his so gently. Then, he kissed her a second time and when he was pulling away, Diana pulled his head down and their lips united one more time. This time, the kiss was more lustful and their tongues demanded to meet. For a while, they kissed slowly and gentle. Only when they both felt the need to breathe, their lips separated.