35 - No!

I immediately dropped down to the floor once I heard what sounded like a huge gunshot

I immediately dropped down to the floor once I heard what sounded like a huge gunshot. My hands went to my stomach on instinct. Shielding the baby from any possible danger. After a few minutes I didn't hear anything except for coughing. Oscar coughing. Oh my God Oscar is coughing! He got shot!

I ran out of the room. "Oscar! Oscar!" My heart started to pound even harder in my chest as I laid eyes on the incredibly huge hole in the front door. Then I turned and saw Oscar laying on his back near the kitchen. He was losing a lot of blood and he was clutching his chest, trying to fight to sit up. I rushed over to him and fell to my knees. "Oscar stop moving please! I need to call 911 and get you an ambulance!" 

He shook his head. "Call Cesar, tell him, ugh ugh ugh." He couldn't finish his sentence, he started coughing from the pain again. "Tell him, I- I.." I shook my head and picked up his phone. I dialed 911 and started talking to the operator. Oscar shook his head. "Hang up" He faintly said but could barely get the words out. "Yes, 21 Cajon Street. Yes. He's been shot! Please hurry up!" "Maria, no. Hang up the phone." I know how Oscar felt about the hospital or having the police get involved but I didn't care. I needed to save his life. That was the only thing that was important right now. "No! No Oscar! I don't care! You're not going to die and leave us here!"

He sighed and shut his eyes. Regaining some strength he spoke again. This time pointing to his room. "The.....bag. Put it up." 

I frowned but then I realized what he was talking about. I nodded quickly and ran to his room. I dropped to my knees and ducked underneath his bed, grabbing his black duffel bag. I took it to the bathroom and opened up the cabinet doors underneath the sink. Once I opened it up, I opened up the bag and revealed the large kilos of cocaine and wrapped up money. I lifted the wood flooring underneath the sink and put it all there. Closing it back quickly and running back out to Oscar just as the police and paramedics were pulling into the yard.

I watched as they poured into the house, one by one. All eyes were on Oscar at this point. He had lost so much blood. "Ma'am are you okay?" One of the officers asked me, seeing all of the blood on my shirt. I looked down at the blood and shook my head. "Oh, I'm fine. It's my boyfriend. He was shot! Please help him!" They nodded and went to work with him. They started asking all of these questions. Then when they saw his tattoos they stopped for a moment. 

"What the hell are you waiting for!? HELP HIM!!!!!"

They jumped at my scream and went back to helping him. I watched them put him onto the stretcher. 

"Oscar! Oscar!" I heard Cesar scream as he ran into the house. He was followed by his friends and then Angel, Santi and Sad Eyes. Angel rushed over to me. "Maria! Are you okay?!" I nodded quickly and ran into his arms. "They shot him Angel! They shot him!" He nodded. "Okay, okay. Shhhh. Just tell me later mami." He tried to quiet me as he saw the police were looking and listening still.

"Is anyone riding with him to the hospital?" One of the paramedics asked.

"I will!" 

"No, you go with Angel. I'll ride with him there. We can't risk anything happening to you or the baby Maria." Cesar said. I frowned slightly. But then my eyes filled with tears. "He told you already?" Cesar nodded. "He couldn't wait to tell me Maria. He loves you so much. Angel will make sure you're okay. I'll see you all at the hospital. I'll make sure he knows you're okay."

I nodded and watched Cesar hop into the back of the ambulance with Oscar.

Tears streamed out of both of my eyes as I watched it take off towards the hospital. Angel wrapped his arms around me. "It's going to be okay Maria. Oscar will be okay." I nodded slowly. Still crying. I couldn't lose the one man who finally taught me what love is. I couldn't lose the father to my unborn baby. I just couldn't.

"Wait, you're still pregnant?" Santi asked looking confused.

__________________________________________________

Oscar's going to make it, RIGHT?

How cute is it that he told Cesar about the baby already!