40 - Pink Starburst

It had been exactly one week since I had been admitted into the hospital

It had been exactly one week since I had been admitted into the hospital. One week since I had seen Maria and one week since I had been shot. I was feeling a million times better but it was time I got out of this hospital. I sat up and grabbed my phone from the side table. I dialed Angel's number and put the phone to my ear.

After a few rings I could hear his phone ringing in the hallway. He was already on his way. I hung up the phone and swung my legs around to sit on the side of the bed. Angel opened the door and smiled at me as he put his phone back in his pocket. "Somebody's fucking happy." I nodded and smiled. "Damn right, I get to see Maria and the baby today." I dapped him up and Angel sat down in the chair next to my bed. "She's doing a lot better, so is the baby." Angel said pulling out his phone. He put in his password and handed his phone over to me. I looked at it and immediately started to tear up. It was a picture of Maria holding our daughter. She was so fucking small. She had a long fight ahead of her, being born premature. But her dad and mom are going to be right there to help her every step of the way.

"Where are they?" I asked Angel, looking up at him. He gave me a small smile. "Maria is still in her room. The nurses say she'll be able to go home tomorrow too. Your daughter is in the NICU still." I stood up and nodded. "Then let's go. I'm ready to see them." He nodded and stood up. We walked out of my room and down the hallway to the elevators. I don't know why but I started to get really nervous. I haven't seen Maria in a week. Is she mad at me? Would she hate me for not being there when our baby was born? 

Angel looked over at me. "Hey, you okay?" 

I nodded. "Just a little nervous I guess." He laughed a little. "For what? You finally get to see Maria and your baby. You've got nothing to worry about." 

"What if she doesn't want to see me? What if she hates me?"

"Oscar? Seriously? Maria loves you." He placed a hand on my shoulder. "She has been asking for you since we got here." I nodded. "Okay."

The elevator door opened and Angel walked out. He turned around and looked at me. "Aren't you coming?" I blinked my eyes at him. "Hello? Oscar?" I looked at him and snapped out of it. "Right." I stepped out of the elevator. "Sorry." I walked out and started fumbling with my hands. We walked down the hallway and I felt my heart start beating faster after each door we passed. Then finally we stopped. Angel looked at me. "This is her room. You ready?"

I took a deep breath and nodded. 

Angel opened the door and he walked in. I waited a few seconds and then walked in slowly behind him.

"Hey Angel! Did you bring them today?" Angel nodded. "You know I did." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of starburst and handed them to her. "Why do you like these so much anyways?" She giggled, "I just like the pink ones." Angel looked confused. "Why?"

She smiled and looked down at the pack of starburst. "Because they taste...."

"Like strawberries." I said completing her sentence. Maria stopped smiling and her face shot up. I could see the tears forming in her eyes. "Os-Oscar?" She could barely speak my name. I nodded. She jumped up from the bed and ran into my arms. I picked her up and held her. Tight. She smelled so good and her skin was just as soft as I remembered. "Oh Oscar! I missed you so much!" She pulled back and looked me in my eyes. "Oscar, we have a baby girl. She's here! We have a daughter!" She cried as she tried to get it all out. I moved my hand up behind her neck and pulled her to me. She bit her lip briefly right before our lips met. My eyes closed from the intense feelings rushing through my body. I've been waiting so long to do just this. We didn't stop, we kept kissing. Until Angel cleared his throat. 

"I should probably let you two have a minute to yourselves." 

I shook my head. "No." I sat Maria down onto her feet gently. "I want to see our daughter." I held Maria's hand in mine and gave it a small squeeze as I said it. She looked up at me and smiled. I smiled back at her and then we turned to Angel. "You coming?"

He shook his head. "You two go. You should get to see her for the first time with Maria. You three can have a little family moment, you know." 

I nodded. "Okay. Thank you." I held onto Maria's hand tightly. "You ready hermosa?" She nodded and smiled at me. We walked out of the room and started down the hallway. "How many times have you seen her?" She took a deep breath and looked at me. "You mean today? Or since she's been born?" "Uh, I guess both." "I come and see her at least five times a day. As much as they will allow me to." I looked away from her and kept walking forward. She tugged on my hand. "What's wrong?" I sighed. "It's just, I-I haven't seen her yet. What if, I. What if?" Maria stopped us. She turned to me and placed her hands on my chest. "Oscar. You are her father. She's going to love you." She reached up and wiped away the tear that had fallen from my eye. "I know it's scary. Being anything for the first time is scary. But I love you and I know you're going to be an amazing dad. So let's go in there so you can meet your daughter. Okay?"

I nodded my head and hugged her. Maria didn't know how much I needed her and how much I needed to hear that. "Te amo mi amor." She looked up and smiled. "Te amo." She started walking again and tugged me behind her. "Now let's take you to meet our daughter!"

_______________________________________________

They are the cutest!

But you know good things don't last long

A shit storm is coming

Prepare yourself!!!!