36 - Trust me

Angel called me as soon as he found out what happened to Oscar

Angel called me as soon as he found out what happened to Oscar. I drove as fast as I could to the hospital. I knew they would want me to stay with Maria while the doctors worked on Oscar. As I got out of my car and walked inside the hospital my phone rang. It was Angel. 

"Hola mano. I'm here. Okay see you soon." He told me they were on the fifth floor. They had Oscar in surgery and Maria was freaking out. I had my bookbag with me, filled with a blanket, snacks and drinks. As soon as the elevator door opened I looked up to see Maria crying in Angel's arms. I walked over to them cautiously. "Hey Maria." 

She looked up at me with bloodshot eyes and a tear stained face. I've never seen her like this. Not even after some of the horrible things Rico had put her through. I sat next to her and wrapped my arms around her. Her little stomach had finally started to fill out and I smiled a small smile knowing that the baby was hers and Oscars and not that bastard Rico's. "Hey chica. I know you're worried about Oscar but he's going to be okay. Trust me. God won't allow anything to happen to him." 

She lifted her head and gave me a small smile. Then she nodded her head and sniffled slightly. "How long has he been in surgery?" I asked Angel. He sighed, "About an hour now." I nodded then turned back to Maria. She was still wearing a blood stained shirt and her hair was tossed about in a messy ponytail. I opened up my bookbag and handed her a clean shirt. "Want to change?" She looked at the shirt and then at me. "Yes, thank you Leana." "No problem." I looked around and then pointed to the end of the waiting room. "There's a bathroom right over there. How about you go change and clean up some? Then when you come back you can have all the snacks you want." She gave me a grateful smile and then walked to the bathroom. I know she probably wanted a few minutes to herself as well. 

I stood up and walked over to Angel. "How is he? For real." He shook his head. "Not sure yet hermana. The doctors won't tell us shit. Cesar is still back there with him so hopefully he's able to come tell us something soon." I nodded and looked back over toward the bathroom. Angel placed his hand on my shoulder. "Please try to keep Maria as calm as possible. With everything that she's been through, she can NOT lose that baby. It would kill her and Oscar if something happened to their baby." 

I nodded. "I know. I'll do everything I can. I promise." 

My head shot up when I saw Santi run over to the bathroom door and start banging on it. I didn't know what was happening until I saw the blood coming from underneath the door. My eyes shot open wide and I literally started trembling as I ran over to help him try to get the door open. All of us were shouting for Maria, telling her to open the door but we weren't getting any response. Angel ran to get some help. Santi pushed me slightly. "Move!" I backed out of his way and watched him kick the door knob until it fell off. He pulled the door open and we both saw Maria passed out on the floor. She had a small puddle of blood coming from underneath her. "Was she shot?"

Santi shook his head. "No! She said she didn't get shot." Angel rushed in with some hospital staff. They told us to move out of the way. We backed up and watched them put her onto a stretcher. "What's going on!? What's wrong with her?!" I shouted at them as they rolled her out of the waiting room and into an emergency operating room. "Ma'am we're going to have to ask you to stay in the waiting room. We'll update you soon." That did nothing but piss me off. "No! Tell me now! What the fuck happened?! She was just fine! What is wrong with her?! Is the baby okay!?"

Angel grabbed me up and pulled me back to the waiting room. I fought him the entire way. "Let me go Angel! Something happened to Maria!" "Leana I know. But we need to let them help her. Calm down okay?!"

I snatched away from him and wiped the tears from my face. My face was hot. I was so stressed out. Not only was Oscar in surgery but now Maria was too. And there was no guarantee that either of them would make it out. There is no way that this is really happening right now. I can't imagine life without Oscar. He's like my second brother. And I can't see Oscar going through life without Maria. 

"Hey everybody."

We all turned around to see Cesar standing there in the doorway. 

"Oscar....um...well..."

"What the fuck Cesar! What is it!?" Angel yelled at him.

"He's going to be fine. He will need a while to fully recuperate but he's alive." 

All of us let out a huge sigh of relief. 

"Thank God." 

Cesar looked around the room. "Where's Maria?"

All of us looked at each other and then looked at Cesar.

________________________________________________

So Oscar is okay. 

But what about Maria and the baby?

Do you think Oscar would survive losing one of them?

Both of them?