Chapter 1

~Yugi's POV~

Me and my best friend Joey were stalking along in the shadows at the nearby market, waiting for the opportunity to take something out of a cart without being noticed.

"here it comes." Joey whispered as an apple cart wheeled by next the alley we were in. Joey snatched two but as the saying goes, don't grab from the bottom, a wave of apples comes sliding down.

"Run!" Joey yells and grabs my hand, running to the opposite end of the alley.

"hey! You two get back here!" The carter yelled as some people started looking to see what the commotion was all about.

"haha, we got away." I exclaimed as we climbed into the hole in the wall covered by a piece of metal.

Inside was a small room in between the walls that looked like it could have been a room but it never was, we've been calling this home for who knows how long. Ever since my grandpa and his parents died we have been on our own, stealing food in order to survive.

The room had little in it, a few dirty blankets and rags on the floor as two beds for us to sleep as well as some straw on one end of the blankets with a sheet over it as a makeshift pillow. We also have a few small knives and planks of wood we managed to take for fire whenever it gets too cold. There is also a small window at the top of the wall that lets in the only light in the room besides the metal door.

I sat down on my "bed" and Joey sat in front of me and handed me an apple "Here ya go, buddy." He gave me a big smile and I took the apple, returning his smile with an equally big one.

We are in silence but that didn't last long before we were throwing the cores in the hole in the ground hoping an apple tree will start growing.

"i wonder how long this is going to last." I said and laid down, looking up at the blank ceiling.

"how long what's gonna last." Joey said peering at my face.

"until one of us gets caught and put to death." I said, my words drawing silence as I come to the end of my sentence, not wanting to think of my best friend dead.

"Hey, don't worry about things that are yet to come, we are both still here together and that's all that matters." Joey smiles as he ruffled my hair.

"you're right joey," I look at the window noticing that the moon was coming up "it's almost dark, should we call it a night?" I asked, making him check the window as well.

"ya, it seems like we should." Joey laid on his makeshift straw bed and closed his eyes "night Yug." he yawned.

"night Joey." I whispered and closed my heavy eyelids as I drifted off into dreamless sleep.

~next morning~

"Hey! We found them!" I was awoken by a loud voice outside of the metal gate covering the hole we were in.

I saw the head of a guard come into the room we were in, having a little trouble because me and Joey were smaller and could fit easily.

Me and the man made direct eye contact, I was too scared to do anything so I took my shaky hand and pushed Joey who was right next to me "just 10 more minutes mom." He grumbled and rolled over. I smacked his head and he sat up.

"What do you-" he paused as he saw the guard staring at the both of us. I swallow a lump in my throat as I await what he is going to say.

"So you are the two who have been stealing from carts and making a mess in the market." The guard finally speaks up and neither me nor Joey can say anything. We are so desperately trying to find a way out of the situation but the only way in and out of this little room is the metal gate that the guard is standing at.