Chapter 20

ELENA'S POV:

I woke up at 9am since I wanted to make a trip down to the police station today. Mattia's Mom had come by earlier and given me a bag with fresh clothes and toiletries, but I must've been asleep cause she left me a note with the bag.

Thank you, Mija

I freshened up and got changed into my black jeans with a white hoodie. I'd have worn Mattia's hoodie but that would've defeated the whole object of being broken up. I fixed my hair into a messy bun and glanced at Mattia.

"I'll be back tonight" I said softly, leaning down to kiss his head. No reply.

I made my way downstairs and peered into the cafeteria. It was busy as hell, so I decided I'd eat something later. I started walking towards the exit when I got a text from the boys.

Alvaro: who's heading to the police station today y'all?

Me: I'll be there in an hour tops

Roshaun: me and Kairi finna be there too

Robert: I went yesterday, I'm gonna go see Mattia

I dialled a cab company since there were weirdly none out front. The guy on the other end told me he'd be at the hospital but it would take some time.

"45 minutes?" I groaned, hanging up. I started dialling another number when I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Need a ride?"

I turned to see Kio. Dressed in all black, he waved a set of car keys at me.

"Why do I feel like you got rid of all the taxis just so could give me a ride?" I sighed and Kio laughed at me.

"That does sound like something I'd do, where are you headed anyway?"

I hesitated for a moment.

"The police station."

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows at me "I never considered you to be the criminal type"

I saw a slight smirk on his face and explained what had happened. He frowned and looked at the ground, realising there was actually nothing for me to be happy about right now.

"Well let me give you a ride there" he offered. But I shook my head quickly.

"It's fine I can get a cab, I don't wanna be a bother"

He rolled his eyes and took my hand in his. I tensed up but then I remembered I'm single, and that this was completely okay. Yet it felt so wrong.

"But I want to drive you there, besides I have to go home to pick up some stuff, so text me when you're done and I'll pick you up"

"You really formulated that plan in the last 5 minutes?" I asked, taking his phone to put my number in.

"And it was a good one" he winked, taking his phone back and leading me over to his car.

-

"So what'd you have for breakfast?" he tapped the steering wheel with his fingertips.

"I didn't eat, I'll have something later"

He looked over at me and furrowed his brows.

"I'm buying you breakfast" he said, driving in the direction of McDonald's.

"No you don't have to, I'm not even hungry" I pleaded, trying to make him change his mind. I really wasn't trying to get breakfast since I told the guys I'd be there in an hour.

"No I am, and there's nothing you can do about it"

He flashed me an annoyingly cute grin as we pulled into the drive thru and I sunk into my seat.

"Hey can I get two sets of pancakes, with one strawberry milkshake and one..." he turned to look at me and I sighed.

"Banana"

"And one banana milkshake please"

I took out my purse and handed him £10 for the food. But he swatted my hand away.

"Are you crazy? I'm not letting you pay, weirdo"

"Kio let me just take this one" I tried to plant the note in his hand but he curled his hands into fists.

"Fine" I mumbled, putting the money away. We collected the food and Kio payed, soon enough we were back on our way. Thank God.

"How do you always manage to keep your spirits so high despite everything you're going through?" I asked, opening my straw. He gave me a lop sided grin and shrugged.

"Honestly, I don't know. I guess I do it for my brother, if I showed him how upset I am by everything, it'll only hurt him even more"

"So you are upset?"

His eyes softened and he pressed his lips into a thin line.

"I'm sorry, you don't have to-"

"No it's fine" he cleared his throat "so you never told me why your friend got shot"

I shifted in my seat but figured it was a way to pass the time at least. I ended up getting carried away and told him about the engagement and Cindy, and how next Saturday I could've been his wife, but instead we were stuck here.

"I can't believe he cheated on you and thought you'd never find out" he frowned as we finally got to the police station.

"Neither can I"

I winced as I remembered the way Cindy had confessed, and the feeling of humiliation appeared again.

"Hey, try not to think about him, you'll only hurt yourself even more" he reached over and squeezed my hand.

"I guess, thanks for the ride" I slung my bag over my shoulder and opened the door.

"I'll be here when you're done" he called out, I smiled at him over my shoulder as he shot me that infamous grin.