Riddle Me This

Amerah spotted Emma leaning against the wall with Cyn in her arms when she came down stairs. She was still feeling kind of small so she decided to go outside and get some air by herself. The last thing she wanted was to spiral out of control in the middle of a party. She sat on the steps outside and picked a flower from a nearby bush. Her fingers fiddled with the petals before absently plucking them off. Her mind ventured to before her and Emma broke up. She remembered everything about the relationship. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

  Emma was loving but her attention was split unevenly between Amerah and work. Work was her first love and Amerah usually received whatever was left afterwards. Still, Emma never deserved the way Amerah treated her. Amerah weaponized her little against Emma. Controlling when or how she received the affection and obedience that most Mommies craved. She manipulated her into only doing what Amerah wanted. She made Emma choose between her and her friends (namely Delilah) on more then one occasion.

  Amerah grew frustrated with her own thoughts and memories. It angered her to realize she was such an awful person to someone she claimed to have loved. She threw the flower to the side and stood up. She decided to just go back inside and enjoy the rest of the party. She didn't deserve Emma's friendship and she knew it. Though she wasn't feeling much bigger, it was decided that she wouldn't be talking to Emma so it didn't matter.

  "Hey." Emma said as she closed the door behind her.

  Amerah took a step back away from her. Emma's sudden presence startled her. "Hello." She avoided eye contact with those unforgettable piercing blue spheres. They always had the same effect on her. They always have, even in her most rebellious states, those eyes did something to her.

  "Delilah said you were upset. You were crying and wanted to talk to me." Emma kept her distance too. She wasn't sure what Amerah's game plan was but she didn't trust her.

  The blue woman ran a hand through her hair and huffed. "I wish she wouldn't have."

  "Well she did. So you have my attention. Tell me what you want." Emma said.

  Amerah folded her arms across her chest and continued to look everywhere except at the blonde in front of her. She shook her head. "Nothing."

  Emma could tell something was off with her. She wasn't being the brat she usually was. She seemed genuinely upset. "Amerah, look at me. Now." She demanded softly.

  Amerah recognized the tone of her voice and her eyes immediately snapped up to hold Emma's gaze. Old habits don't die. "Yes?"

  "I'll only ask one more time. What do you want?" Emma voice was firm but she said it gently enough so she didn't scare the little girl pretending to be big in her presence.

  Inside the party, Delilah and Cyn were in the kitchen. Delilah decided that Cyn should take a break from all of her dancing to get a snack. That seemed to be the only thing that could get her off the dance floor. Cyn never said no to snacks.

  "Come here, princess." Delilah summoned her closer with a stroke of her finger.

  Cyn slid closer to her Daddy. "Do you wanna know how I got these scars??" She asked manically.

  Delilah crinkled her brow, clearly confused by the question. "I'm sorry?"

  Cyn poked her index fingers at the ends of he Delilah's mouth and forced her to smile. "Why so serious?"

  Delilah laughed and bit Cyn's fingers hard enough to elicit a yelp from the green haired girl. "You have lost your mind. No more costumes for you."

  "Daddy!" Cyn whined.