Part 13 - Goddess

"Alright, everyone!" Senku instructed everyone, "today, we need a little something call glass. I'm order to make the sulfamide, earthenware won't be able to handle some of the fun chemistry experiments we'll be doing. But since glass can contain most chemicals, it's the very starting point of chemistry! And finally, with glass... we can take that damn thing that's always in the way on Detective Suika... so that the true face of her... might be revealed!"

He yanked off the melon rind from Suika's head after he said that, making Chrome yell. Kohaku snatched the melon rind away from Senku.

"She said she didn't want anyone seeing her face!!"

"Go on and look... her face isn't scarred up or super ugly," Senku said. Y/n looked away from him and down at Suika. She gasped. Suika was adorable!! She had a short blonde bob accompanied with big brown eyes. Kohaku felt the same as Y/n, since she looked at Suika in awe, mooning over her. Suika's face then turned up all wrinkled and squinty, making Chrome and Kohaku shout in surprise.

"Suika's eyes.. they have blurry disease," she said. "I can only see faint fuzzy images of things, sand if I strain to see... they make my face like this. It's embarrassing..."

Y/n had a realization. She used to wear glasses...! But ever since she broke out, she didn't seem to have much of a problem with her eyesight... everything looked clear.

"But when I wear this Suika cap, somehow everything gets easier to see!" She said, putting it back on and bouncing happily. 

"Ah, the pinhole effect. By looking through a hole, light squeezes through and can reduce the amount of something that's out of focus..."

"So Suika's inability has something to do with glass...?" Chrome asked. 

"Yes!" Y/n exclaimed. "It used to help fix everyone's eyesight!"

"It's not a disease," Senku said, sitting in front of Suika so he was at her eye level. "Or a deformity. In a scientific world, not one person is held back by it because no one thought twice about it. The eyes of science, made from glass, called 'glasses.' They'll fix your eyes."

"You can make eyes... using science?"

"Yes.l

"To be honest, Suika wants... even if it's just once... to be able to see this beautiful world, and everyone not blurry or fuzzy. Suika wants to truly meet everyone..."

Y/n sat beside Suika while the others got up to collect materials for glass. "Hey, Suika. In the old world, I used to have the same problem. When I was about your age, everything was fuzzy to me, too. But when I got these glasses, everything became a billion times clearer. I can teach you how to take care of them once you get them!"

"Thank you Y/n..." Suika looked up at her, smiling. "Suika can't wait to get glasses!"

"Right! Let's go catch up to the others..!"

As they walked, Senku explained the ingredients used to make glass. All they needed to collect was sand, which had silica in it. After collecting the small white crystals, they returned to the storehouse, where Senku and Chrome worked on the glasses while Y/n and Kohaku trained with Ginrou and Kinrou. Before long, they had finished the glasses, fitting them into Suika's melon rind. Y/n dropped her spear as soon as she was done, letting Kinrou jab her in the side before running over to the two scientists. Senku chuckled as she tagged along.

"You can't miss this, huh?"

"Not for the world! It's an important moment," she said energetically, despite having trained for hours. Chrome led the three of them to a sunflower field, where Y/n looked around in awe. It was so pretty...