Part 11 - Mental

It wasn't long before everyone had started to take advantage of Senku's new ramen cart. With the aroma of ramen wafting throughout the entire village, it was hard not to take some. Y/n helped to keep it cooking while Senku served everyone. Ganen was obsessed with the new ramen, and the prettiest girls loved it! Much to Y/n's despair, one even started flirting with Senku, but got brushed off immediately. Everyone was eating and having a great time.

"Man, this seriously makes me wish I had a drink~ like a cola..."

As soon as Y/n heard that, she froze. She looked over at Senku, wide eyed. Kohaku walked over to them, smiling.

"Is that one of your friends, Y/n, Senku?"

"No," Senku replied. Kohaku's face became serious as she broke up a fight between Kinrou and Ginrou.

"Sorry to interrupt you two but... we have an enemy."

Quick as a flash, the three of them surrounded a lean man dressed in light purple robes, with half short black, half long white hair. The jolly mood of the afternoon was killed instantly, and Y/n didn't even have to look at the man's face to know who he was. Kohaku held her knives to his throat in a very threatening manner.

"Answer truthfully! If you even think about lying I'll cut your throat open right here and now! Are you one of the long haired man's people?!" Kohaku yelled. The man looked up, confirming Y/n's suspicion.

"Mmm, getting tied up by a cute girl like you might not be so bad after all. But I think you're mistaking me for someone else. I have no idea who this long haired man is... ever since I broke free of the stone, I've been all on my own..." he spoke in a light, whimsical voice. It was obvious to Y/n that he was lying, but perhaps that was because she knew who he really was...

Y/n stepped forward, without a doubt. "Asagiri Gen. Don't bother lying, I know all your tricks."

Gen turned around to look at Y/n. "Oh, a fan, perhaps? Wait, you look familiar..."

"I'm Y/n. We've met once before."

"Ohh, Y/n, I remember you now. You're still as pretty as always~"

"You know this garbage author?" Senku asked Y/n, confused. 

"Yeah. I used to review books as a part time job, and he just so happened to reach out to me. We talked for a while, I reviewed his books, and we lost contact." Y/n said. She didn't see the need to bring it up before, and she had only done it for a short while. Nevertheless, she had enjoyed it.

"That's riiight~" Gen said. "You said they weren't half bad, either... and you. I am an author, but garbage? That's just mean. Please, refer to me as a mentalist."

He referred to Senku, an expression of mock hurt on his face. He handed his bowl of ramen to Ginrou.

"Anyways, I apologize for indulging in your ramen all on my own. Now would you please lower your weapons? I'm so scared I'm shaking over here. I might even end up spilling this delicious ramen..."

He kept talking, and Y/n could feel how light his words were... lacking weight, and most importantly, sincerity. He kept piling his words up neatly and orderly, one after the other, clear and concise, but not at all serious. The way he talked made it seem that he thought of it all as though it were an easy game, one which he would win. It seriously pissed Y/n off. Words were meant to carry meaning, yet people like him were the ones that made them lose it.

"I was just searching for food, when behold! The familiar smell of ramen came wafting through the air! So of course, imagine my surprise!"

"Kukuku, if that's the case, we'll let him be. Besides, there's no such thing in the world as a free meal. Everyone will have to work!"