Part 30- 20 Fateful Seconds

00:20

"Prepare yourselves, everyone!" Kohaku yelled. "These twenty seconds will determine the fate of humanity!"

BANG!!

A shot from the tank's cannon fired. Y/n wished Kohaku hadn't made it seem as dramatic as it actually was. She stood beside Kinrou, armed with a spear and shield. She had slept fine the night before, but she was nothing but a huge ball of anxiety once she had woken up. Somehow, being in the heat of the moment allowed her to actually make rational decisions. She could put her worries aside for twenty seconds, she hoped.

00:19

The tank's cannonball flew through the air, taking Tsukasa's soldiers by surprise. It whizzed past, too fast to see, like a hummingbird flapping its wings, only, this was far more deadly. Some of the guards barely managed to jump out of the way as it collided with the entrance of the cave of miracles, sending debris everywhere.

Y/n stiffened. She doubted she'd ever get used to that loud bang of the cannon, as well as the impact it made. Tightening her grip on her spear, she prepared to lunge at some of the soldiers, only waiting for Kohaku's signal. Her mind was running a million miles per second, and once the twenty seconds were over, she wouldn't be surprised if she had a panic attack on the spot.

00:18

"GUYS, LOOK OUT!!" Chrome yelled from behind the tank. "Tsukasa has already anticipated the use of steam powered weapons!!"

"Then that means a place as important as the cave of miracles is surely riddled with traps⁓" Gen said from inside the tank, driving it steadily up to the cave. Senku, who Y/n knew for a fact had stayed up all night reviewing the plans, grinned from the top of the tank, wearing a helmet in case they crashed.

"Yup, with ten billion percent certainty. Oh well, SCREW 'EM!! CHARGE!!!"

00:17

The tank raced forward, quickly gaining speed as Senku laughed from above. From adrenaline, fear, or joy, Y/n couldn't tell, but assumed it was the latter. It almost made her forget they were in the middle of a battle.

Almost.

The steam gorilla rattled and shook, blowing out steam out of its double engines as it went. Y/n thought it almost sounded like a gorilla running through a forest, ready to attack a beast which had challenged it.

She took a deep breath. Just a few seconds now, and she'd be fighting head on with men three times her size. Any moment now. The few seconds which she had to wait felt like a lifetime.

00:16

The gorilla hit its first trap as it powered through, sending a huge jolt throughout the whole tank. Y/n could hear Gen shriek from inside, clearly startled. Y/n squinted at the wheels, and saw that so far, they were fine. However, with more traps like that, the tank wouldn't last until the end.

It hit another trap, wooden and bamboo stakes piercing the wheels. The steam gorilla would be taken down in a matter of seconds, especially at the speed it was going. If the battle hadn't only been twenty seconds, Y/n would've worried for both Gen and Senku, hoping, praying even, that they'd be alright.

From up ahead, she heard Kohaku shout in amazement.

00:15

"WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!"

"A TANK?!"

Shouts from the meat headed soldiers could be heard as they reacted, in Y/n's humble opinion, extremely late to the situation.