Part 37 - Information HQ

"First off! Your wood is too brittle. Unlike the specifically bred trees we had back in the modern world, it'd be too much of a gamble sailing with this alone!" Ryuusui explained, sitting in a tent with Y/n, Senku, Gen, and Chrome. Senku nodded.

"Yup, so we're going to be making both sails and a motor."

"Seriously?!" Chrome yelled, completely unaware of that fact before Senku brought it up. Y/n, however, had her concerns about this fact as well.

"That's not going to work. For a ship the size we're making, burning wood isn't going to be enough to power it," Y/n was staring at the ground, wondering what other kind of possible energy source they could acquire said fuel from.

"Y/n's spot on! You'll be just fine with an engine, but burning some crappy wood isn't gonna to squat for your ship. If you had some real fuel, I could take you to the other side of the world no problem!"

"Huuuh? Some real fuel, but I don't know what you meannn~! I'm not good at that sciency stuff..." Senku had a mocking tone, which made Ryusui grin.

"Don't play dumb with me. You know exactly what I want...!" 

"Kukuku, very well then," Senku grinned, acting as though it were a burden even though he was clearly excited. "It's finally time for us to go and get it."

"Wait..! You can't possibly mean we're getting..." Y/n's eyes widened at the only conclusion she could come to.

"That's right! We're getting oil," Senku stated, grinning with excitement. "Which just so happens to be Shizuoka's specialty!"

"Ehh?! You can't be serious!" Gen cried, astonished by Senku's announcements, as he usually was. Y/n knew it wouldn't have been impossible to get oil, but oil in Japan...? She had never heard of such a thing, not even a rumor. 

"Yup, I am. These oil fields were sought after by a guy named Sagara Yuden, but due to issues with profits, he stopped digging for it," Senku happily explained. "So even now, it should be brimming with world class oil! All we have to do now is find it."

"Hah, well, you can leave that to me, Ukyo, and Kohaku!" Chrome exclaimed, pumped up. "We'll set out after the rain stops and find your king of resources for sure!"

The next morning, that very trio set off in hopes of finding the oil, some of the villagers wishing them a good trip on their way out. Ryuusui watched them leave, then smiled. While Y/n knew Ryuusui wasn't all bad, she still knew that a smile from him out of nowhere likely meant he had a skeevy plan.

"You lot already know that if you can get me the oil, I can take you to the other side of the world no problem," Ryuusui began, his quite and calm tone of voice making Y/n nervous. She'd come to learn that people were more scary when they were quiet. "I just have one condition."

Y/n sighed. With someone as greedy as Ryuusui, she shouldn't have been surprised there would be a catch. After all, she doubted anyone would take them across the world for free, much less Ryuusui, the one who desired the world. She at least hoped he wouldn't try to claim the oil for himself...

"I am carrying the lives of you all on my back, so the burden of making sure you all are safe is really quite troublesome... Which is why once we find the oil, I'll be claiming the rights to it."

'I wish I hadn't thought anything...'

While Y/n was more than ready to accept this unfortunate fate, Gen challenged it.

"Th.. That's straight dirty! You're being wayyy too greedy!!"

"Oh, come on Gen, don't undervalue people's lives here! Of course, if it's too much money, you could always find someone else, haha!" Ryuusui grinned mischievously, making Y/n sigh.