43

A couple weeks later, I woke up to Josie and Joshua laughing. With a light smile on my face, I shrugged the blankets off of my small frame. Cold air nipped at my legs as I began to rise out of bed.

"Good morning." I smiled as I entered the living room area. "Morning!" Joshua smiles before kissing Josie's cheeks, making her giggle. "How'd you sleep?" Joshua asks as I started the coffee machine. "Pretty good, you?" I asked, hopping on the counter as I waited for the machine.

"I made a cup for you, it's by the microwave." Joshua doesn't take his eyes off of Josie as she walks around the room.

As I climbed off the counter, Josie met me and held her hands up, asking to be picked up. "Good morning!" I smiled as I picked her up, kissing her cheek. She giggled as I picked up my favorite coffee cup. While we joined Josh in the living room area, she plays with my hair.

"So! What's the plan for today?" I asked Josh as I sat down on the couch. He reaches up and grabs his laptop that was resting beside his head since he was sitting on the ground. Josie grabs her toy that was laying a few feet away from me.

"I have a surprise for us." Joshua smiles, glancing up at me briefly. "What's up?" I asked, Josie babbling to herself in my lap. His screen flips to airplane tickets that have yet to be bought. "I didn't buy them yet, but we never got to go on a honeymoon. I thought that maybe Josie could stay with one of our parents, if you'd like." Joshua moves so he's sitting right next to me, his body giving off warmth.

"I don't know, Josh. She's never spent the night away from us." I sighed, looking down at the brown eyed girl in my lap who was happily playing with her toy.

"Why don't we have her spend the night at your moms place tonight or tomorrow night? I'm sure they'll be fine with it." Joshua pouts as Josie crawls over to him, holding out her toy for him. He gladly takes the toy from her and begins to play with her, setting his computer in my lap.

"I don't know, J." I confessed, watching the two of them. "I know you'll miss her, I will too! But I've read that it's healthy to have a night to yourselves." Joshua assures me, lifting Josie onto his lap. Sighing, I began to think about the outcomes.

"What if something happens to her and we're not back in time." I choked out. "Our parents raised us perfectly fine, baby. I'm sure they can handle another baby just for a week or two." Joshua glances at me with puppy dog eyes as Josie twists herself out of his arms, setting her small feet on the ground before reaching for her other toys. The two of us watched her as we continued to talk.

"Can I think about this?" I asked, watching Josie begin to drift away from us. "Josie, come back to mama and daddy, sweetheart." Joshua calls, gaining her attention. The girl giggled before venturing back into the living room, sitting down and playing with her toys.

"But yeah, of course." Joshua continues our conversation. Nodding, I laid my head on his shoulder and watched Josie play around.

•••

I eventually agreed with Joshua. He was right, parents do need a break from their baby for just a tiny bit, despite their protests.

We had dropped Josie off at my moms around an hour ago, and I couldn't stop thinking about what if she was unhappy? Oh, right, she's with her grandma.

"What's on your mind, princess?" Joshua stands behind me, bending over the back of the couch to look down at me. His curls were blocking the view of the TV. "Just thinking about Josie." I replied, flicking one of his curls. "Oh, trust me, me too. I miss her little giggles." Joshua smiles, kissing the top of my nose before hopping over the couch and joining me.

"You wanna go get her real quick?" I asked. "Baby, no. She needs a break from us." Joshua pushes a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "I know." I pouted, turning on my phone to see a photo of her and Josh as my lock-screen. It was my favorite photo of them, and I loved it so much. Josie was smiling widely as Josh kissed her cheeks, her one little tooth peeking out since she had just started teething. Those things were hell, but tips from other moms helped me out greatly.

"So? Would you be interested in going to Australia with me?" Joshua asks, pulling my body closer to his. "I guess so." I teased. I would get used to being away from Josie for long periods of time, but the whole time I would be worrying about her safety. We could always FaceTime whoever she's with, so I guess that makes me feel better.

"This is going to be amazing!" Joshua kisses the top of my head, making a large smile etch onto my face.