41. The Making of Us, Two Kings

I cling to Gideon, hugging him tightly. I could hear him cry against my chest, though he tried his best not to be loud. Except everyone knew he was crying.

It has been a week since the incident and I've healed significantly. Before - I had a hard time even being able to walk, but now I could actually walk on it. My face was swollen, but it wasn't as swollen as if could've been.

I did lose a significant amount of blood, but again - not as much as it could've been. Gideon, of course, blames himself.

Ever sense the whole thing, he's been very mean to the servants and maids. Not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt or being kind. He has been different.

"Gideon how many times do I have to tell you? It is not your fault."

"It is my fault because I made you think you could handle anything... I need to confess something to you." He cried, and I nod. "You are one of the largest targets in the mafia right now. Many want to kill you because of my father. With him alive there will be this constant problem. I let you think you were protected, but only when you're with me. Besides that, if you're not with me - there's already a bounty out for you."

I just look at him, because I would've appreciated if this was known to me. Than again, he didn't know I was going to do this.

"It's...it's my fault." I groan, and he looks at me.

"It is your fault, you're right." Gideon says to me sadly, and I chuckle awkwardly. "It's not funny!"

He stood now, rushing to Titan as he picked him up. Holding his body close to his, he shook his head at me.

"You could've gotten Titan hurt. It's bad enough you were hurt and I couldn't...get to you on time. What happens if I can't be there to save you again? I am furious that you put yourself in danger like that. Like, where's the common sense?" He sneered angrily, and he sighed.

His eyes closed as he nestled Titan closer to his chest, opening his eyes abruptly.

"I thank you...for finding Jun. Sorrel told me your intentions and I love you for them. I love you so much that it kills me that you had to get hurt because you were trying to do something nice for Sorrel and me. But...sometimes it's okay to be selfish. You could've told Sorrel no and told me the complete truth - not a half-ass truth." He states to me, and I smile.

"I felt bad for...what I said to Sorrel. I also said to you not to bother searching - I had no right to say that. I was just trying to help-."

"Listen to me. I didn't need your help, I was planning on searching when I thought it was a safe time to do so. You've only made things worse. Now, you aren't going anywhere without me." He tells me with a dark-tone, and I look away.

I felt like he was saying I made things worse. Maybe I did...but I truly meant no harm.

"You aren't...fucking invincible. It's...clear to me that your family was never meant for this life. Your parents were menaces with my father and tried incomprehensible things just to win his trust and be a part of the family. They failed trying, so they thrust their only child in to see if it'd work - as if you were bait. I saw this, but I ignored it because I still had the thought in my head as kids. We'd travel the world together and always be happy, but all it's done is bring you pain." He spoke painfully, his eyes not even watering.

He just stared down at Titan with this look of defeat. I became fearful when he looked at me, and I found myself staring into a dead soul. He didn't even look alive or human.

"I lost a piece of empathy." He mumbled, and he walked towards me. Setting Titan in my arms, he avoided looking in my eyes.

"Gideon-."