The Calm Before The Storm

Virgil was humming to himself softly, dancing around the room in a dream-like haze. He had been like this ever since Roman had proposed. He'd been happy. Content. Completely satisfied with how life was moving for him. As long as had Roman, life was fine. They could lose everything but if Virgil had Roman, it would all turn out okay. At least, that's how he felt.

He felt over the moon, ecstatic and giddy. He had visited Emile and Remy in the Grey Realm yesterday to help repair some of the damage that they were still recovering from and even Remy called him out on his new attitude. Nothing was going to bring him down. Then his brother walked up to his room and leaned against the doorway. He smiled a smile that seemed out of place, but he chuckled normally.

"You seem pretty happy," Deceit smirked coldly with a warm voice. "What's happened?"

"What else?" Breathed Virgil, sitting heavily on the bed with a light smile. "I'm just excited. I never thought you'd let me get married and I'm just... cheesy as it sounds, I'm just in love."

Deceit nodded, moving over to sit down next to Virgil with odd emotions in his different eyes. "I gotta say, I felt this way when I got engaged to Remus."

Virgil rolled his eyes. "Yeah, of course you did. It wasn't like you picked up a stick and hit Remus over the head with it because you weren't expecting it."

"I was happy on the inside."

The prince wanted to frown but he kept a silly beam on his face, only allowing a small narrow of his eyes to show his disbelief. "Do you remember what we talked about? Before your wedding?"

"Of course, I do."

Virgil looked over at him challengingly. "I don't. Remind me."

Deceit met his gaze and the wrong smile fell away from his face and he narrowed his eyes too. The brothers had a stand off but neither spoke until Deceit slowly answered. "We talked about Remus and I. And the wedding."

"Wrong," Virgil hissed, straightening his back. "You bothered me about Roman."

Neither were smiling now. They stared at each other, unmoving. Indigo magic curled around Virgil's' shoulders but Deceit didn't let any of his golden aura shine.

"I remember now," Deceit said blankly. "Silly me."

Virgil scowled. "Yes. Silly you."

.:*:.

Amai was in a house at war but no one could see it except her. No one else could see the battle scars that everyone seemed to be carrying, no one else could see the weight of their guns growing too overbearing for those who used them. No one else could see the way they all tensed when someone opened their mouth, ready to defend against an attack. No one else could see the wounds they inflicted on the enemy and no one else could see how long it had been going on.

For almost as long as she could remember, pray for a few happy memories, it was this unending battle of locked doors, shouting and crying. An eternal dance of private break downs, falling only to have no one there to catch you and words that were sharper than swords and did more damage than cannons. Yes, that was the house she lived in. And everyone fought against her brother who fought against everyone and was winning.

Patton's' authority meant nothing now, Amai would get ignored and Logan was too busy at work. And Amai couldn't stop it. If she talked to Logan, he promised he'd try to talk to Fletcher but they both knew Fletcher would have none of it. Patton was in denial. He was blinded by a hope that one day, someone would fix it for him. He hoped that, one day, it would all go back to however it was before. But Fletcher was the worst. And this could only prove it.