Chapter 4. It Takes Time

The next week would pass and finally would FP be slipping into uniform for his first day at work.

But before heading to the sheriff's station, he had to check in with the mayor, just to let her know that he'd be starting work officially.

"Great. I've assigned you a partner and he's already at the station to show you the ropes. Everything you might need to know, so this is training day and from there you should be good to go. You'll get your gun and all that you need there."

"Cool," he nodded and spun around to get back to the station in order to get to work.

He was just slightly nervous to become sheriff because it was very different than being Serpent King. It was the other side of the law and he didn't know how he would do, but he was going to do his best so there were no complaints, no problems and no trouble between himself and Hermione.

When he got to the station, he was greeted by one of the deputies holding a clipboard and he gladly helped him get started with his training.

There was almost no plan of being trained and it was an odd start that he would have to get used to. For starters, he had more reading and studying to do than anything; how to mirandize somebody, the codes and colors, the amendments and laws. Once the deputy handed him everything he needed to learn along with books and such things, he was sent home.

···

Sitting on his couch in his trailer, he read over one of the smaller books to get started and he was highlighting things; actually taking things in avidly, wishing he would have knowm some of his rights when he'd been arrested.

Pretty soon there was a knock at his door.

He looked over his shoulder and he marked his page before getting up and answering.

"Mr. Jones..." she said worriedly and with wide eyes.

"Betty, what are you doing? You don't have to knock," he allowed her in, but then took in her expression. "What's the matter, where's Jug?"

"He's fine, he's at the Wyrm, hanging out with Hog Eye," she claimed. "I'm supposed to meet him at Pop's, but I just got a phone call."

"Okay..." he lingered and enclosed them. He then led her to sit down.

"I just didn't know who else to go to," she shook her head. "Oh, my God, my mom is gonna be so angry at me."

"You seem really wound up, please calm down and tell me what happened," he sat across from her and he used a calmer tone.

"I got a phone call that I need to vacate my house because of my mom."

"What?"

"Yeah. I talked to Mrs. Burble like Mr. Weatherbee said I should and I told her everything that was happening with my mom and me... She said it was a tough situation and asked me if there was somewhere I could stay meantime and I told her I was staying with you and Jug. I didn't realize that she was evaluating me, but I told her everything and now they say I have to stay away from my mom and she has to stay away from me."

"Oh, God..." he actually put his head down and he rubbed it firmly, trying to think heavily on what to do. He knew Alice would be angry at him too and things were so good with their relationship.

"I know!" she complained and let her tears fall as she looked around. "What's going on? Are you studying for something?"

He picked his head up, "Sort of," he shrugged.

"I'm sorry to bother you with this... I just didn't think something like this could happen. I just needed to vent because my mom is driving me crazy."