Chapter 5. The Sacred Taking

There was a knock at her red, front door, but then it opened before she could get off the barstool she was sitting on.

"Hi, mom," Betty came in, her eyes just slightly sad as she smiled at her gently.

The takeaway from her sweet tone was the fact that there was a man in a suit, Mrs. Burble and  Jughead behind her.

Alice didn't respond, instead, she turned back and she continued to sip on her mug of coffee while reading the newspaper.

Betty then turned to look at her boyfriend and she became slightly small. Looking back at her mother who was silent, "I just came to pick up some stuff..."

"Go ahead," she coldly replied.

Jughead grabbed his girl's hand and she turned her head. "I'll help you pack," he nearly mouthed his whisper.

She took another glance at her mother, nodded and then led the way.

Pretty soon the man in the suit approached the woman at the kitchen island. "Just while this is under investigation, we're going to be placing your daughter in another household."

"If that's what she wants..." she shrugged and dropped her head in her hand.

"You understand that she doesn't feel safe with you, right?" Mrs. Burble stepped in to ask.

"Okay. I don't see what is dangerous about being with her mother, but if that's how she feels, then fine."

"We'll call you soon enough," the man assured.

She nodded and pretty much shrugged. She then picked up her phone and she started texting Edgar because she needed to hear something uplifting and she knew he'd be the man to do it since she wasn't exactly speaking to FP.

Since her spat with FP at his trailer, she blocked him for the time being because she wanted total isolation. Betty leaving was just fortifying that need since she would be gone until they decided in court where she would be staying.

"Where is she staying?" she wondered aloud.

"For now, it's in the air... We'll place her by this evening."

She nodded again.

After another twenty minutes, Betty came down the stairs with Jughead behind her.

"Mom, I'm going..." she mentioned.

"I'll take this out for you," Jughead whispered before passing her by.

Mrs. Burble and the social worker remained in the foyer as they waited for the girl.

Betty looked over at them and she let her eyes drop in a sad matter. "Would it be alright if I had a moment with my mom?"

"As per my position, I don't think I can--"

"You can speak to her," Mrs. Burble cut in, since her intuition could tell that's what the girl needed.

"Thank you," the teen said softly and she started making her way toward the kitchen.

Both the social worker and counselor went to wait outside.

"Mom?"

"What, Elizabeth?" she asked in a slightly annoyed manner though her voice was still calm.

"Mom, I didn't think this would happen. I was just getting nervous and I'm worried about you."

"I am fine. There is nothing to worry about..." she finally looked up and made eye contact with her. "What I want to know is why you're doing this to me. After everything your father put us through, how could you do this to me?"