Chapter 36. Tears and Fears

The next week would move along with ease; Alice was having her morning treatments every day at the same time which was around ten in the morning, after FP left for work.

Everybody was so helpful when it came to her needs; it even caused Jellybean to step up more, because she didn't like to see Alice in any turmoil. She was starting to get used to the idea that the woman would be giving her a younger sibling. She had never been angry about it, but she thought it was weird and she was only becoming angry at the fact that it was doing so much damage to the woman who was like a second mother.

To go along with her very scheduled days, every morning at nine a.m., Charles came over so that he could be there when the house nurse came. He didn't like the idea of a total stranger with his mother as it wasn't always the same nurse, only because she had already gone through a lot with Edgar. He didn't want anybody else swaying her rather focused thoughts. But either way; he would tend to stay long periods of time anyway, out of just getting to know the woman who gave him life and doing things for her; such as getting her food or beverage, anything she may have needed.

In the short week, he had learned so much about her personality and it really helped him with coming to terms with his own being.

"So, it's Friday night... Do you have anything planned, sweet boy?" Alice wondered as she flipped through a magazine, sipping on a glass of iced tea.

"No, not much," he chuckled. "I'll be headed to the Five Seasons, just to catch up on rest. I'll stop by in the afternoon tomorrow though. I know prom is tomorrow too... I don't want to disturb any plans you may have."

"Charles, I am glued to the bed, honey, I am not going anywhere. Nor do your dad or I have plans since Jellybean is going to a friend's while the kids are at prom. Come over... You can have dinner with us... Just the three of us. Maybe even sleep over," she encouraged. "If I'm lucky, FP will either help me or carry me downstairs for a change of scenery."

"Cabin fever in your own room?" he smirked.

"Like you wouldn't believe. Not to mention, I have a fear of developing bedsores... and there are not too many places I can go to relieve stress on the skin. If I didn't have this baby here, I'd be able to move more freely and more comfortably. Besides that, I really want to walk around. My doctor said it was okay to walk around the house to just get the blood flowing but no longer than thirty minutes same with standing so that literally means thirty minutes and then sit down or get back in bed. But I wait for FP because of the stairs."

"Can you climb them at all?"

"I could if I went really slowly, but FP doesn't want to take chances, especially when he's not home. I can walk a few, up and down but it's not suggested to climb two flights like we have here. So I do as much as I can and then he carries me the rest of the way."

"Well, if you want to stretch out, I'm happy to help," he added.

"No, you do enough for me as it is, don't worry about it," she grinned and kind of thought to herself.

Her expression made it clear that she was thinking intently.

"What?" he asked, the same expression marking his face.

"It's just... It's just that I never... I was never there for you. I may have witnessed your first breath, but I never witnessed your first laugh, your first tears, not even your first steps. And yet here you are, all these years later, taking care of me, when I never got the chance to even take care of you," she immediately became emotional.

"Alice," he reached out to take her hand, but she moved it when she went to wipe her tears.

"I don't deserve for you to be here, Charles. I was never anything for you when I wanted to be, when I should have been. You should have grown up in a house with both of your parents," she continued on.