Chapter 21. Finding the Dealer

"Gladys, what the hell?!" FP pounded on the trailer door, fighting his way through since his key happened to not be working. Finally getting frustrated enough, he managed to kick the jammed door open. "Gladys?!" he yelled.

"What is with all the yellin'?" she came out quite disheveled as she threw back the rest of her beer. "What?"

"What were you doing? I couldn't get in."

"Sleepin', the door must have got stuck again," she shrugged.

"Couldn't you hear me yelling?"

"No," she shrugged.

"Convenient..." he mumbled.

"Anyway, where are the kids at?" she asked, seeing that obviously none of the three were with him.

"Jug and Betty went to Pop's and Jellybean is staying the night at Alice's," he explained.

"Why are you here?" she wondered.

"I live... here...?" he hesitated, not knowing the answer to the question.

"Well, I mean, wouldn't you rather spend the night at Alice's? You're gonna be moving in with her soon enough anyway. That way, I can settle here for the time being, at least until the divorce stuff is settled and I won't be in your way."

"Alice and JB are having a girl's night---I didn't want to spoil their fun. Betty and Jug should be back soon enough..." he managed to make eye contact. "Am I intruding or something?"

"No," she smirked. "Just didn't think you were gonna stay here for real. I was talking to JB and she said she was really excited to move in with you and Alice. I just thought Alice wasn't really trusted at the moment, not with children at least."

"She's gettin' better," he assured. "Alice is technically babysitting, we'll put it."

"So, the sheriff is letting her babysit while also aware that she got her child taken away? Sheriff has custody of her child, yet he takes his child over there anyway?" she smirked. "Didn't mean to make tgat rhyme... You're a funny guy, FP, I'll give you that."

"Glad I amuse you," he said calmly as he took a seat at the dining table. "Anyway, I might just take your offer and move in sooner. Just don't blow up my trailer---this is still home even if it is a piece of garbage."

"Blow it up?" she creased a brow.

"Jug told me all about the drug labs, even showed me some pictures," he grabbed his glasses as he also pulled his phone out.

"My own son saving evidence in order to incriminate me..." she semi scoffed. "What happened to protecting our own?" she mumbled as she placed her glass bottle in the recycling, just before grabbing a fresh on from the fridge.

"Now that's a Serpent law, not a family law... Either way, you never protected him as your own, so I'm sure he's having a damn fine time leveling out the score board. Hell, until I quit drinkin' neither did I," he glanced over the framing of his glasses, watching his soon-to-be ex-wife pop yet another beer open. "Maybe you should cut back too?" he suggested.

"Don't tell me what to do, FP," she shook her head, scrunching her nose. "I'm drinking because I can, plus I don't have to worry about takin' care of anybody. Seems you and Alice got that covered."

"Do you have to get snippy over every little thing?" he wondered. "It was a suggestion---one you should take, by the way."

"I'm not the alcoholic in this family," she shrugged.

"Fine, forget I said anything." He then put his attention back on his phone. Hey, how are you, kid? he texted.

Pretty good, Charles responded. And you? he replied in a second message.