Chapter 10. Protective Mother

"So, mom's really staying?" Jughead asked his father.

"Yeah, looks like it for now, boy. I thought I was hallucinating when I got home and they were there. God, I've missed Jellybean so much," he assured with a light grin.

"Me too---y'know, I miss mom too... but don't you think she's here for a reason?"

"I'm not really trying to dig myself into a hole," he leaned forward, perched against his desk.

"Right, but don't you think it's weird she's back, out of the blue? When I took Archie out to Toledo as a getaway---her crew were jacking things."

"Don't tell me that," he leaned back in his chair.

"I'm just saying, she's still playing dirty in ways and I don't think that is the best image for the sheriff."

"As long as I don't have to catch her, I'm not worried. Anyway, don't mention anything about the Betty thing to your mom. She and Alice aren't on the best of terms and your mom's got a big mouth."

"Will do," he nodded. "I kinda don't trust her if I'm honest... So anyway, what about you and Ms. Smith?" he wondered. "Bet you didn't think mom would come back to an affair?"

"She's mad at me... I can imagine why though---I didn't say anything to defend our relationship. Your mom caught me off guard and I didn't know what to do. I defended Alice after the fact."

"What's going to happen?"

"I don't know. Alice is really quiet, so I may have to pay her a visit... But maybe it's for the best---this way she won't find out about Betty living with us."

"Yeah, by the way---we gotta figure something out, dad. Us on the couch and floor for the girls to have our rooms... I slept more comfortable when I was living in the school."

He chuckled a little. "I'll pick up some blow-up mattresses."

---

"What is it that you want, Alice? You know, I'm busy---" as Gladys slid into a booth opposite to the blonde at Pop's. "I have a job to do and I got dinner to make later on."

"I am just here to apologize," she assured, dusting off her start of the conversation. "My behavior wasn't the best because of something else," she explained. "I didn't mean to talk so badly about you in front of Jellybean---she didn't deserve that and neither did you," as much as it pained her to apologize.

"Well, I understand that---I mean, gettin' your kid taken away and being under investigation... I've been there."

She gently put her head down at the thought.

"FP told me how hard that was on you, so I already forgave our little spat."

"I'm surprised he'd share that with you," she mentioned, thinking it was far less private than it should have been.

"He wanted me to understand where you were coming from," she shrugged. "But I guess you feel good knowing she's with us and under FP's guardianship, right?" as she sipped on a glass of water.

"What did you just say?" she picked her head up quickly.

"Um... I don't know," she sort of held her breath, realizing she may have spilt something.

"Are you telling me that Forsythe is Betty's legal guardian?" she knitted her brows together.

"I thought you knew," she genuinely reached out. "You and FP have been close and as Sheriff or Riverdale, I didn't think it was secret."

"Gladys, you and I have never really seen eye-to-eye, but if what you are telling me is true..."

"I swear," she put her hand up in defense. "I didn't mean to spill the beans but I heard the boys talkin' about it. I didn't know it was a secret since they were talking about it in front of JB and me."