Chapter 24. Honesty

Betty was in the kitchen with her mother, doing her homework at the island as her mother cooked a meal for FP.

Beside the teenager; her mother's belongings sat on the other chair.

They were discussing plans for the weekend and such things when Alice's phone buzzed.

The blonde glanced over into her mother's purse and she creased her brow. "Why is Edgar Evernever texting you, mom?" she reached into her bag to grab the cellular device.

Alice looked up abruptly.

"You're not still part of the Farm, are you?"

"No, I'm not, Elizabeth," she sighed. "Give me my phone, please," she reached out for it.

"Mom, tell me the truth!" she got out of her seat in order to keep the phone away from her. "Are you still seeing Edgar?"

"No, I am not. Believe me. If you give me my phone, I can unlock it and show you our messages," she calmly explained.

"Fine," she handed it over.

The woman unlocked her phone, she read the new message as best as she could without her glasses and then she handed it to her daughter. "See?"

Betty read through each and every one of them; what they said, the dates and time. "Okay, fine, but why is he texting you at all? I thought being done with the Farm meant you were done with Edgar," she scrolled further. "What does this mean; We miss you here at The Farm," she repeated his messages.

"Betty, I am done with the Farm, but Edgar and I are still friends. Despite everything, he still helped me in the beginning of things. If it weren't for them at all, I wouldn't be with FP, I wouldn't have my job at RIVW, but there's nothing more going on, he was just checking on me."

"Well, I think it's weird," she replied. "I don't think it's doing anything to stay in contact with him," she shoved her phone back in her hands. "Why is he trying to coax you back?"

"He just said I'm missed... I don't see what the big deal is. I'm obviously still in contact with Polly and you seen, he sends me pictures of my grandchildren," she shrugged.

The teen remained quiet, unsure of what to say only because she didn't like it, but she also didn't want to say something rude and a cause a fight since they had a great day together.

"Look, I can promise you I am not part of the Farm. It's strictly a friendship at this point... and a connection to Polly because she got rid of her cell phone."

"Why?" she furrowed her brows.

"I don't know, honestly. She said she doesn't use it enough and they have wired phones around the house they're at and she said she prefers them. I'd love to stay in touch with her via text, but if that's what she wants," she shrugged. "Still, Edgar sends me pictures of the babies."

"I'm sorry, mom, if I'm honest, I don't like it."

"You don't have to," she shrugged.

"You're this close to getting me back, mom, and this could jeopardize that... Does that bother you in the slightest?"

"Elizabeth..."

"Does it?"

"Yes. That's why I am explaining myself. I know that this is odd, but why give up my friends too? Evelyn was very nice and welcoming with me as was her father."

"Edgar is not her father," she claimed. "Before you decided to leave, I did some digging. Edgar is Evelyn's wife and she's been repeating high school for a decade."