Chapter 16. Hidden Monsters

Betty and Jughead were coming home that evening and they were slightly blindsided to see Alice, cradling a cup of coffee on the couch while FP lingered around as usual.

"Mom?" she dropped her backpack. "What are you doing here?"

Clearing her throat, Alice stood and she approached her daughter with a gentle smile. "I missed you," she then extended her arms, wrapping them around her taut.

Betty did the same, hugging her mother warmly.

"My sweet, baby girl," she moved a bit, just to peck kisses to the side of her head and face, trying to keep her tears at bay.

Meanwhile, Jughead looked at his dad with an arched brow, slightly shocked to see Alice being so soft. But then he cocked his head, mouthing; Where's mom?

FP shrugged in return.

"If it's okay, honey, I'd like to take you to dinner. We can catch up and talk?" Alice suggested, still sniffling since she had been crying off and on all that day.

"Yeah, mom, sure. What's wrong?" she kind of looked over at FP.

She was actually starved since all she and Jughead did was work with Archie and their research for G and G and the Farm.

The sheriff walked forward, "Just hang out with your mom for a little while, Betty. I'm sure you have a lot to talk about. I'll fill Jughead in, if you don't mind, Alice?"

"Not at all," she turned around to pick her purse up. "Come on," she gently cocked her head, guiding her daughter out of the trailer, her arm still wrapped around her.

"I'll see you guys later," Betty bid a short farewell.

Once the girls left, Jughead faced his father.

"Should I be worried? Also, I'm spazzing. Where's mom and Jellybean?" he added.

"I have no idea where your mother is, but your sister went to Pop's with some friends."

"Oh, yeah... She has friends," he assured.

FP chuckled. "Anyways, Alice says she is done with the Farm."

Raising a brow, "You're kidding?" as he pulled his denim jacket off, switching it out with the Serpent jacket.

"No, I'm not. She's a complete wreck, though. It's almost like she is having withdrawals from letting go of that demented thing. She's been crying pretty much all day; about us and our relationship, about not being able to see Betty and just the overall past," he took a seat, resting his elbows on his knees while slicking his hair back with his fingers.

"Well, I guess it's a good thing. That way she can focus on helping Betty cope in that area. I swear, it's like I feel Betty's pain and she is just always so messed up when she walks into a room. And I know that feeling, but to see that on her, it's a game changer."

"That happens when you love somebody so much," he arched a brow to himself, feeling just the same about Alice in the very moment.

"Speaking of loving somebody so much..." Jughead lingered as he took a seat on the recliner. "When are you gonna tell Ms. S. about Charles?"

"I don't know. I guess when she's back in her own head... Maybe even sooner than that because I'm hoping he snaps her back to the real reality of things."

The teen nodded, locking his hands together. "Now speaking of reality, I'm worried. Mom's been pissed for days and I barely see her. JB is starting to ask questions."

"I don't know what the hell that woman is getting into. I may be the sheriff, but part of me really doesn't want to have to take her out if she is doing something shady."