Chapter 8. Crooked Family

At the crime scene, Alice hopped out of her station wagon as soon as she could since FP was already out and about doing his thing, while others were putting caution tape up.

"Forsythe?" she called.

"Ma'am, you have to stay back."

"I'm Alice Smith---reporter... Get out of my way," she sassily arched her brow.

The man obeyed and allowed her through.

"Alice, what the hell are you doing here?" FP muttered to her.

"Well, initially I was bringing you lunch... Then I heard about this, so I thought I'd tell you first... I'll pick you something up from Pop's," she explained.

"You can't be here right now, okay?"

"Since when did you get so hard?" she crossed her arms, her head held bacl lazily as she gazed into his chocolate brown eyes.

"I'm working," he assured, trying ti het her to ease up since he simply wasn't in the mood to see her since hearing about what she did.

"So am I."

"Alice, I will meet you at the house and give you the cliff note version for your report, alright?"

"Forsythe, I don't understand what in the world--"

"Dad?" Jughead rushed over with his camera, with Betty right behind him.

Time seemed to stop when the foursome landed in the cautionary territory.

"Mom?" Betty creased her brow, nearly questioning her presence.

"Elizabeth..." the blonde dragged her eyes away and she crossed her arms, facing away from the three.

Feeling like he was stuck in the middle of something even though she didn't know yet, FP stayed silent, but then managed to build up strength. "What is it, boy? What are you kids doing here?" he said slightly harsh as he rested a hand on his hip. He looked between the two of them, wishing Betty would take the hint his expression was leaving.

"We heard about this from Principal Weatherbee and he asked us to come to the sight. He wanted it in the paper; explaining how dangerous G and G is," Betty assured as her eyes kept drifting to her mother.

"We also figured you could use the help," Jughead replied to his dad.

The sheriff pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" the teenaged blonde walked on over and put her hand on her mother's arm, turning her to face her.

"Elizabeth, do you really think I want to talk to you after what happened with my friends?" she turned, just to ask.

"I guess... not, but are you okay? You seem tense."

"Tension? Really?" she said almost sarcastically. "It's not every day my daughter is taken away from due to the authorities request."

"Alice?" FP mumbled, his raging thoughts settled enough to calm her.

"Well, it's not every day my mother is abducted by a psycho cult. I mean, what kind of a name is The Farm," she air quoted with a laugh. "It sounds like these hillbillies are coming out of the woodworks, just to feed on emptiness and depression. Not to mention, deepest and darkest secrets... I don't understand how that remotely sound promising."

"That is enough of you demeaning my family in such a way!"

"Girls, please?" FP begged only because more deputies were to arrive and he didn't want their business out in the open.