Chapter 47. Safe

"It's a girl," the doctor assured joyfully as he pulled the baby from her womb and gently placed her in the arms of the nurse in order to be cleaned up.

"Alice, did you hear that, baby? It's a girl," FP excitedly replied.

The doctor then began his stitching on her tummy.

"Alice?" he said her name, noticing her falling asleep.

"Hm?" she gasped.

"Alice, don't go to sleep," FP urged, squeezing her hand gently.

"Where is she?" delayed, did she ask of her newborn baby.

"She's right here, Alice," one of the women assured. "We're just cleaning her up for you."

She nodded once more, again just slightly delayed as she tried to stay awake.

"She's gonna need a blood transfusion," the doctor commented as the patient was loosing blood in the middle of his clean up.

"Right away," she turned picked up the sterile phone and she called it in so that it could be set up.

Prior to this cesarian section, the patient was told about the risks, the things that could help if things were to go wrong during the procedure. Days before, they had prepared blood from the blood bank with her type for the simple reason that more blood would be loss than any natural birth, but due to all of the things she was suffering as it was like the placental abruption, it was a must.

"Is she okay?" FP naturally panicked.

"She's lost a lot of blood, she's lightheaded," the doctor explained. "You're doing fine, keeping her awake."

"Her heart rate is a tad slow, but she'll be just fine," the nurse taking care of the machines ensured.

He nodded, keeping her hand clutched within his own while also watching the nurse with his baby.

"Let's make sure she nurses well, please," the doctor then asked, wanting to see if the baby could suckle properly.

"Of course," she agreed and brought the baby over to the side FP was on, the tiny thing just melting his heart right away. "Let's see, Alice," she said her name, just to get her attention.

"Alice, honey, here's the baby," FP commented.

She opened her eyes again and she sighed, her vision slightly blurry as she took in the baby's tiny figure. "Come here, sweetheart," she sort of extended her arm.

FP pulled the back of her gown gently and he exposed her breast carefully. "Let me see," he took the baby from the nurse, supporting her head with one of his hands, trying to get her into the crook of Alice's arm.

"Awe..." she sighed, blinking heavily as she clutched the baby closely.

FP continued to hold on to support the two of them only because Alice looked as though she would pass out in the midst of the task.

The baby then latched to her mother and she started suckling right away and with much ease.

"Everything looks good so far, Doctor," the nurse smiled. "She's nursing well."

"Right on," he assured as he finished up her stitches. He then covered her wound in liquid bandage, letting it dry before covering her back up.

FP sighed in relief as he continued to help Alice support their baby. "Is there anything else to look out for?"

"Checked her heart, lungs, anything that would be a risk---she's in perfect health, Sheriff," the medical assistant on baby duty responded pridefully.