1.18 We Dont Get Lucky

I dont wanna put in all of the talk when they found the Royal merchant So lets skip it.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

"I'm at the bottom! I'm at the bottom!" Kiara called out to the group.

"Okay, steady here, JJ! Steady here. Quarter speed, all right?" John B called at to JJ,"You should be seeing something, guys" he said turning to Esperanza and Pope.

"I know, I know! Wait, wait." Pope said once he realized something.

"Oh good God" Esperanza said shocked when she saw it too.

"See anything" JJ asked turning around.

"Its the Royal Merchant" John b said smiling.

"El Royale Merchant es real." Esperanza said still shocked.

There's a moment in every kid's life when you feel like anything's possible. When you feel like you've got the total mojo. You could, I don't know, free-climb El Capitan, land on Mars, or, get elected president. The whole world's there for the taking if you've got the sack to go for it. And then, when you least expect it, some Kook shows up and tells you there's no eternal mystery. And then all that talk about free-climbing and Mars and the president... bullshit. Magic gets cancer and dies.

"It's not there. Look, just... just pull the drone up." John B sighed turning to the rest of them.

"Look, we can do another pass. recharge the battery. We can... we can go back down." Pope said freaking out.

"We've done it three times. There's nothing there." JJ admits to the group shaking his head.

"Shut up" Kiara scolded the boy turning over to glare at the boy.

"What its true" He threw his hands up in surrender.

"The gold could be buried. We don't know." Kiara said pleading with JB.

"If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay?" John B started to say,"someone beat us to it"

"Or it was never here" Esperanza said quietly so no one could hear her.

Esperanza and JJ were both walking over to her house angrily, "Mami?" Esperanza called out earning nothing in response,"Guess she's not home."

"Wouldn't be the first time you were expecting something today and was disappointed." JJ mumbled.

"Oh my god stop." Esperanza said to him irritatedly as she walked into the kitchen.

"What Esperanza? What am I doing?" JJ asked her.

"You're angry. JJ we're Pogues. We don't get lucky like that!" Esperanza yelled slamming a glass cup down on the counter and breaking it.

"I'm angry? You just cut your hand on glass that you just broke yelling at me!" He yelled back.

"I'm fine!" She snapped at him as he stared at her in shock. He suddenly took a step forward and grabbed her face gently which made her eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"You're not fine Esperanza. You're hurt." JJ said to her softly.

"You can hardly keep your head out of your own ass to notice." She mumbled to herself, looking down at her hand, only for a split second it wasn't her hand but her leg where a bullet had barely grazed her.

"I always notice when somethings off about you." JJ said to her,"I'm sorry, baby."

"Me too J." Esperanza said looking up at him before awkwardly turning away,"I got to clean my hand before it gets infected."

"Yeah. How's your gunshot wound?" He asked her scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh you know. Feels like a gunshot wound. I'll have a bad ass scar though to tell my kids about." Esperanza smiled.

"You're pretty set on having kids." JJ said.

"Yeah. I like to think I'll have them even though I probably won't." She said shrugging.

"I don't know. I think you'll be a great mom." JJ said to her.

"You have to say that. You're my best friend." Esperanza said laughing softly as she ran her hand under water.

"Yeah probably. That doesn't make it any less true." JJ said to her.

"You'd be a great dad. You wouldn't let your kids go through the same thing you did." Esperanza smiled before laughing,"No wait. I can't imagine you as a dad. Maybank you are a total party spirit."

"Esperanza" JJ said seriously,"What happened to you? You've been off since-"

"The day those people busted into John B's house. I kept getting these flashbacks of them shooting me on the HMS Pogue. It's like PTSD or something." Esperanza shrugged interrupting the boy.

"What else." JJ asked looking down at her concerned.

"After I went home from the lighthouse thing. I took a nap and had a dream. Nightmare really. They showed up to my house. With you. And then they shot you in between the eyes before doing the same to me." Esperanza admitted,"I had the same dream the other night. And I've decided.. I decided that I never want to lose you.."

"Es-"

"It's fine JJ. Okay. I'm handling it. I'm still sober." Esperanza said to him aggressively,"I don't need you or the others telling me everything is going to be fine when it won't."

JJ walking behind her as he wrapped his arms around her pulling into a hug as she took a deep breath. Esperanza embraced the hug. She turned around and looked up at him. JJ's focus was completely on Esperanza. Her beautiful brown eyes, her perfectly shaped, and smooth looking lips. He could kiss her at this moment. Before he could stop himself, JJ captured Esperanza's chin between his pointer and thumb, he slowly began to lean in. Esperanza responded by pushing herself onto her tip toes. But just before their lips could actually connect, Elena walked into the house.

    “oh hello you two.” She said, making the two pull away as she walked to her room. Esperanza cleared her throat awkwardly and turned away from JJ.