1.25 The Crain House

"We're in Battery, right here." Kie says as they stood on a hill type thing.

"So if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here." Esperanza says looking out at the view.

"Somewhere there." Kie says pointing in a direction.

"Right" Pope says as Esperanza nods in agreement.

"Over there? Guy's, that's not Tannyhill, that's a subdivision." JJ says shaking his head.

"Tannyhill Plantation was the entire island. It got sold into smaller pieces over time." Esperanza explains to the boy as they were now in the twinkie.

"So we're just looking for an old stone wall." Pope says looking at the map.

"Pope. Switch me" Esperanza says as she removes her seatbelt and sits next to JJ. Pope moving to the front.

"Okay, so the road should split up here." Pope says looking back at the map as JJ and Esperanza were making funny faces at each other and laughing,"All right. You're gonna take a left." Pope says to John B.

"Okay" he says as he takes a left.

"That looks like a stone wall to me." JJ says pointing at the wall. John B pulls the car over on the side of the road. As everyone jumps out and realize where they're at.

"Not the Crain house."John B says turning to the group

"Are you kidding me?" Pope says looking up.

"Worst-case scenario." JJ says wrapping his arm around Esperanza.

"Why'd it have to be here... of all places?" Kiara says stepping forward.

"Is it too late to sit this one out JB" Esperanza says turning to John B.

"Well i guess we should walk in" John B says as he steps forward and the group follows him. Soon finding themselves in the yard.

"Look, you guys know whose house this is, right?" Kie says looking at the group. Esperanza nodding at the girl as she held JJs hand tightly. Esperanza was terrified of this house because of the stories and JJ was like a giant teddy bear compared to her. JJ chuckled slightly at the shorter girl before deciding her pick her up and put her on his back.

"Oh yeah. No i do" JJ said to Kie gripping Esperanza's thighs tightly and readjusts her.

"Honestly, I don't really believe the stories of this place." John B says still walking.

"What?" Pope says looking at John B.

"I suddenly could care less about the gold" Esperanza l says softly so no one but JJ could hear.

"Which stories did you hear?" JJ says walking over to kie.

"The one where she killed her husband with an axe and that she's been holed up ever since. On certain nights, when the moon is full... you can see her in the window!" Kie says waving her fingers in JJs face.

"No, it's not funny, 'cause it's all true." JJ says to the group before getting scared by a statue and squares up to it making Esperanza fall,"I swear to God, guys, this is all real. I knew Hollis. Jeez!"

"Wait, you knew Hollis Crain?" Pope says turning his attention to JJ who was helping Esperanza off the floor apologizing a million times. 

"Yeah dude" He says nodding his head.

"Dude, how do you know Hollis Crain?" Pope asks JJ in disbelief.

"She was me and Es's babysitter" JJ says.

"Es's and I" Esperanza says sarcastically correcting him.

"Whatever. She told us all about it. Told us the truth about her mother." JJ says as he grabbed the girls shoulders making her flinch.