1.22 Midsummers

Esperanza had stayed the night at Kiara's since Kiara and her family invited her to midsummers. Esperanza was Kiara's only friend that her parent liked. She was a pogue but there was something about her that they loved. They treated her like a daughter. Bought her some clothes and invited her everywhere.

"This is disgusting." Kie said as she looked at herself in the mirror.

"My back looks like packaged meat." Esperanza said laughing in the mirror at herself in a long purple dress.

"I know. Its horrible. I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party." Kiara's mom said as she walked into the room and gasped looking at Esperanza,"Oh my goodness. You look beautiful. JJ would die if he saw you like this. I still can't believe you two almost kissed." Esperanza turned to look at Kiara in shock, who had widened her eyes.

"Mom! You weren't supposed to mention that. Shes not supposed to know you know." Kie said throwing her hands up.

"Kie your lucky she's like a mom to me or else you'd be packaged meat" Esperanza said laughing.

"I look like a bourgeoisie pig." Kie says changing the subject.

"Will you please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for one night?" Her mom says pleading with kiara to let it go.

"Mom, people not three miles from here have no power, no running water, like Es, and we're going to Midsummers. That's so tone-deaf." Kiara said not letting it go.

"Honestly I'm just glad I could straighten my hair."

"Do you know how hard we had to work to get into the Island Club?" Her mom says trying to reason with her.

"Yeah, Mom. How could I forget? You had to grovel for, like, ten years..." Kiara says rolling her eyes.

"Twelve, and we also had to cough up a huge chunk of dough, and do you know why we did that?" Mrs. C says correcting her daughter as she placed a purple flower crown on Esperanza's head.

"To keep up with the Joneses?"

"No. So you could have the experiences that I had as a child. Honey, do you know what the Island Club is?"

"A factory farm for debutantes."

"It is a nice place, with nice people, where you can do fun stuff."

"With out-of-touch rich people, while the island sinks slowly into the ocean."

"Okay, I want you to put on your party face, Kie, if you wanna live." Kie's mom says before sighing and walking out the door.

"At Least I'll be there" Esperanza says smiling at Kiara.

"Yeah. So any JJ news?" Kie says turning to the girl watching her smile fade away.

"Nope. Not yet. Hopefully his dad bailed him out" she said looking down. The girls had a little time before they had to go so Esperanza grabbed her fathers letter. Everytime she read it it just got weirder and weirder. Looking closely she noticed another error in the note. It wasn't his handwriting. The girl gasped silently as tears pricked her eyes but she didn't dare let them fall.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
The two girls ran towards Pope without him seeing.

"Excuse me, sir. Do we have to shuck these ourselves?" Kie says in a terrible english accent.

"Cause it might mess up me costume." Esperanza says continuing the accent when Pope turned to look at them and then smiled.

"We wouldn't want that now, would we?" He said with the worst accent out of the three.