Part XXIV - "You want Proof?"

There was a deep feeling of regret that stirred in the pit of my stomach each time I found myself glancing at the clock. For the past fifty minutes I had organized all of Elijah's appointments for next week along with emailing each of his patients a formal apology for the sudden inconvenience. All while I was flying around the office I kept finding myself tracing back to the image of Elijah's last expression before he left for his session. Was it torment mixed with longing? Or was that my expression?

All I knew was that an hour had passed and neither Veronica or Elijah had come out since. I knew I was no longer interested in what went on behind the door of a therapist's, however I couldn't block out the various unpleasant possibilities this time.

Were her hands around his neck, tangled up in his hair? Was she trying to unbutton his shirt while climbing out of her own clothes? Were her legs spread open on his desk as an obvious invitation?

The thought of the two of them alone in a room made me slightly nauseous, now that my observation of her was proved correct. She was infatuated with her doctor, which made me envision multiple scenarios where she was throwing herself at him.

All I wanted was to slip out, unnoticed. I knew damn well that I couldn't leave until the session was over.    

Pulling out my phone, I quickly typed a message to Aralyn, asking her for a quick ride back to campus. I felt cowardly. Maybe it was because of the fact that my head was still throbbing or maybe it was because I was pretty much running away. Regardless of the reason, I started gathering my belongings together and was preparing to write out a note to Elijah.

Buzz buzz.
Buzz buzz.    

My phone vibrated on the desk next to my bag. I looked down, expecting to see Aralyn's name pop up but instead it was Elijah's.

My brows drew together in confusion at the sight before me. Why in the world was he calling me when it was still, supposedly, in the middle of a session with someone? All I know is, Charlotte never trained me for when something like this happens.

I answered the call, hesitating to speak. 

"...Hello?" My eyes shifted to the direction of his office.

"Amelia, would you please come in here for a moment," his voice was thick and polite.

"Okay." I set the phone down and stepped towards his office.

This time I didn't even bother knocking, when I knew he was already expecting me. I held my breath before opening the door, unaware of what lies on the other side.

The room was silent. The sudden click of the door closing behind me was the only sound that echoed. My gaze loomed over to where Veronica was sitting. About a good six feet away from Elijah, who was leaning against one of the large bookcases. And while her eyes were glued to the floor, his were stuck on me

I broke the bitter silence by stepping further into the room. "You called?"

 "You called?"