Part XL *** - "What would have happened?"

"Ooo-oo, so you and the Doctor spent the whole day together," Aralyn whistled on the other end of the phone.

It was the next day, and I had finally finished unpacking the rest of my boxes from school. After I'd gotten out of the shower my phone started to ring. A sense of sadness washed over me when I saw Aralyn's name light up my screen. It has only been a day since we left campus and I missed seeing her like crazy.

It's amazing how being apart from someone you've been with for so long could make you feel so unorganized

It's amazing how being apart from someone you've been with for so long could make you feel so unorganized. This morning I overslept because I didn't wake to the sound of Aralyn's alarm going off. When I got out of bed I expected to trip over a pile of clothes; but instead I made it to the bathroom without any obstacles.

"It was nice," I commented. My mind had been a tad bit distracted from the mess in front of me. Before leaving Elijah's car yesterday, I mentioned that I would organize his meetings with his patients for this week. The entire top of my bed was covered in sticky-notes, my laptop, and a pile of printed out emails from people who have changed their appointment time.

I found it amusing that Elijah told me not to stress over this type of work. Mind you, this was my job as his secretary. To organize his work schedule and make sure that everything runs smoothly.

"Nice?" Her voice ran over the speaker, "just nice?"

"Were you hoping that we screwed on the park bench in front of the plaza fountain?" I muttered.

Aralyn cackled loudly, making me wince. "No, obviously that wasn't going to happen. You're still taking it slow."

I sighed, "Is that so wrong?"

"Absolutely not. All I'm saying is that I would have had that man nailed down the second we were alone. Honestly, Amelia, how do you have that kind of self control?"

"Believe me, you have no idea how much I want something more with him." That moment when we were running back to the car set my body aflame. It was like I received a shot of adrenaline straight to the heart. I was panting and all I wanted was to feel him next to me. And the look in his eyes spoke no lies, because I knew he wanted the same. Question was . . . why did he refrain from doing anything? Why did he step back?

Dr. Elijah Broderick, the man who spent every chance he could trying to persuade me to fall into bed with him, is the one who pulled away.

At that thought, I sat back from my work and sagged against the headboard of the bed. I stared off into space as though I would find my answer there. I couldn't understand it. In any typical romance story, wasn't it when the two main characters shared such an intense, personal moment that shit would happen?

You know, like how they would share a sizzling kiss that would eventually lead them into the car where they would then struggle to keep the contact going but would have to keep their eyes on the road for the sake of getting back in one piece. But, no. We went from crazy, horny teenagers to remembering our legit professional statuses.