Part XLVI - "The moral of love"

One summer, long ago . . .

It was the end of July where I sat with my legs folded on your living room couch. Temperatures were rising by the day, which left all of us sweltering in the heat. However, nothing could have disrupted my excitement for the vacation that was coming up in only one week's time.

My father, surprisingly enough, had planned for all of us to go on a cruise during the first week of August. Keeping in mind all the past vacation we had gone on as a family, we were all a tad bit skeptic. That is until we saw the boarding passes in his hand with each of our names on them.

My sister and I were so overjoyed when we heard the official news that we immediately started mentally packing our suitcases. My brother cracked a smile when he heard he was allowed to bring a friend with him to keep company. The only person who didn't seem at all thrilled with the idea of going away was my mother. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as she rushed around the kitchen

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as she rushed around the kitchen. Because of the deadly heat, her hair was pinned back with a clip and a thin layer of sweat beaded her forehead. She wore a look of panic on her face that left an unsettling feeling in my stomach.

"What are you looking for, mom?" I asked.

My mother brought her handbag to the kitchen counter where she began rummaging through it.

"Amelia, do you remember when I said I went to the bank to take out some money for the trip?"

I nodded my head. It was just a few days ago when she told me she was planning on taking down her life savings from her safe spot in the house. She had  a plan to go through to see how much she wanted to bring with her on the cruise. I, for one, never knew exactly how much she had saved away. But by the sight of her growing anxiety I could tell it was a lot.

"Well, now it's gone missing, and I haven't seen it since," she explained.

I quickly got up from the couch and sped over to her.

My brows knitted together in bewilderment. "How could that money have gone missing?"

From my knowledge, no one knew that my mother was taking out money for this vacation. She didn't even tell Steven.

She had told me she looked through her handbag twice, all of the draws in her dresser, and proceeded to even search her car. And still nothing. I could see she was fighting back tears, hell I would be sobbing on the floor like a baby if my money disappeared without a trace.

My mother shook her head, "I don't understand it. How could that envelope go missing? No one knew about it."

It pained me to see her so distressed at a time like this. Instead of being exuberant, she was on the verge of having a mental breakdown. The idea of being robbed didn't quite make sense considering it was the only thing missing from the house. So then I watched her go over to the phone, where she proceeded to call someone.