Part XXVIII - "Get. Out. Of. The. Car."

I let out a huff. "Fine. You wanna see what happened?" I stepped out of the car and slammed the door closed. "Here's what happened." I pulled back my hair to reveal the large patch just above my ear.

With gentle hands, I felt him tilting my head for a better look.

"How?" He said in a low voice.

So it appears that Aralyn hasn't told him everything. In that case, we shouldn't tell him the real story. Who knows what he'll do if he finds out that a guy is the one that caused the injury.

For once I am more than happy to comply with my inner voice.

"Truthfully, I wasn't looking where I was going. There was a pair of shoes out in the middle of the floor, I tripped, and I fell forward which resulted in me hitting my head on the side of my desk."

I kept my eye contact with him and refused to look away or even move a single muscle. Anything of the sort would surely have been a dead giveaway to my lie.

"You tripped over a pair of shoes." He appeared unconvinced.

"Yep." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Ask Aralyn. She was there packing her clothes away."

As I expected, Elijah turned to Aralyn for further confirmation. Oh please, Aralyn, please don't fall apart on me now.

"Is that right, Aralyn? Did Amelia really trip on a pair of shoes?" His voice was laced with trickery. He knows all too well what kind of a person she is. In fact, I'm positive that he had already evaluated her while they were talking back in the office.

Let's face it, Aralyn wasn't the best at keeping secrets when we were growing up together. Whenever one of us got in trouble for some reason or another, I would lie and she would spill her guts. All a person has to do is look at her in a certain way and she'll melt under the pressure. 

This ordeal that was quickly  unfolding before me was not like what happened in the past. It wasn't about something we had broken or some childish antics. I needed her to come through for me now. But now both of us waited for an answer from her. 

"...yes. She, uh, tripped. Yeah, that's what happened."

"Did you see her fall?" he continued to ask.

"Well, actually, my back was facing her when it happened. All I heard was the sound of her hitting her head. Which is why I drove her here. I didn't want her getting in her car and risking her life after a blow to the head like that-"

Oh for the love of god, Aralyn, stop talking!     

What's even worse than her telling the truth was her rambling on about the lie I had created.

Elijah turned back to me with a look of pure amusement.

"You're a good liar, Amelia," he sarcastic compliment caused my arms to fall to their sides. "Your friend, however, is not." Oh shit. I think my stomach just dropped.