Part XIV - "Paralyzed zombie"

The two of us slipped into a group of people waiting for the elevators. When the doors slid open everyone moved forward like one giant herd into the small, cramped box. I was shoved to the back and found myself squished between two strangers.

Great. This was why I didn't go to nightclubs. Because the idea of a place packed with an immense number of people who do nothing but grind and dry hump each other in the dark is not what I call a good time. If I wanted to be felt up by a bunch of sexually deprived guys, I would've just walked through one of the frat houses on my campus. Speaking of being felt up...

A large hand settled on the small of my back. I would've immediately jerked away, if it hadn't been for the familiar scent that permeated the air around like a veil. My senses were filled with the smell of pine and woods. My head spun around to see Dr. Broder- Elijah pressed up in the corner of the elevator.

Damn, even in an over crowded six by five space, pushed up against the wall, he looks hot.

My breathing gradually eased back to a normal pace. As much as I was thankful that it was his hand on my back, I still wasn't a hundred percent on board with how casual he was acting around me. My head was still cloudy from the conversation we had a few minutes ago back in the waiting room.

. . . 

Hesitantly, I took his hand and got up from the chair. His eyes lowered to meet my pending gaze.

"I want you to come with me for a drink." My brows raised. "That is if you're not too tired, I know it was a lot to handle for your first day." His eyes carried a deep combination of temptation mixed with persuasion. A dangerous blend for a man like him.

"I don't know." I clutched my bag to my chest. "Aralyn, my roommate, she needs me for uh..." My train of thought was falling apart with every passing second we stood so close to each other.

His imperious expression told that he was by no means giving up so easily. "One drink. All I'm asking is that you join me for one drink. That way we can finish our conversation from this morning."

Ah, yes. Your little conversation from this morning. The one where you pretty much told him that Veronica was having an imaginary affair with him.

I know I threw out a very presumptuous accusation about a woman I knew nothing about. But, he told me that once he had a chance to assess Veronica himself, he would confirm my assumptions. If I had crossed a line, today. So, I suppose we did need to continue our discussion on the matter.

"Say yes

"Say yes. You can read Aralyn's paper later, tomorrow morning the latest. Right now there's a fine as hell man standing so close that you can feel his body heat. Say yes," I thought to myself. 

"Yes." My eyes bugged out of my head from the word that slipped from my mouth. My heart pounded in my chest like a tribal drum. Calm down, just play it off. "You're right we need to talk."