Part LXIII - "Midnight Delight"

After breakfast Elijah and I took a drive through a town called SeaGrove. It was a small, historical town off the coast. It was made up mainly of little shops and restaurants that were family owned. Apart from the breathtaking homes, the area resembled a lot of my old town back in Jersey.

I scanned out the window to view the crowds of people enjoying the various activities. Along the main road were planted flowers that lead to a white gazebo. Inside a small band was playing live music. People sat on benches, some even on the grass, and watched them perform.

It wasn't anything compared to the street fair back home, but the layout was quite similar. In the center of the town there stood a tall, rod-iron clock tower. Below it was a delicately designed fountain with animals and children's carved out of stone. The sidewalks were paved with stained red bricks. Every store had a colorful awning above each of their doors.

Although I may not have shown it, I was excited. I wanted to look around and see if there was anything I could bring back for Aralyn or maybe Lily.

Elijah parked the car just outside of an old antique shop. Numerous assorted things, from toys to small pieces of furniture, were displayed in the window. I felt compelled to go inside; like I was being pulled from my center by a rope. What is it about antique stores that make you want- no. Make you need to go inside and look?

I felt him grab my hand.

"We'll check it out later," he promised

"We'll check it out later," he promised. From there on, we leisurely moved with the traffic of people.  

Every so often we would come across a shop that looked intriguing enough to catch our attention. So far we've hit a local bakery and bookstore that had been standing for over eighty years. Elijah told me he'd enjoyed watching me get lost in the rows of books. I admitted to pondering through some of his books back at the office. I still found it interesting that he possessed a first edition copy of Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre".

"Do you remember the story?" he asked.

The story of "Jane Eyre" was not one I could easily forget. Especially since it now mirrored my life in a very vague manner. A young woman leaves her place of schooling to go and work for an older gentleman as a governess. The two end up having a passionate relationship; all the while the master keeps a crucial secret hidden from her. It's this secret which tears them apart.

"Vaguely," I answered. "An older man falls in love with a young woman who he hires to work for him."

His eyes narrowed. "He wasn't that much older," he hissed under his breath.

"She was eighteen-"

"What else?" he interrupted. I held back a laugh by tucking my lips between my teeth.

"The two fall in love, slowly. I think that it went as far as the two of them getting married, or wanting to at least." I went on to explain.

"You're right."