Keeping secrets

Suddendly the power went off.

I gasped and took Dylan's arm.

"You okay?" he asked, I couldn't see a thing.

The emergency light went on.

"What...?" I asked confused.

"It's the emergency light, it comes on whenever the power goes off" he explained.

"Dyl there's a thunderstorm, the news said it wouldn't be safe to go out so if Aria wants to stay I already arranged the guest's room" Nina said from outside the room.

"Okay" Dylan yelled. 

"This is amazing" I said looking at the emergency light.

"It works either with sunlight or rain, so as long as there's sun or rain we'll have electricity" he said with a smile.

"Awesome" I said.

"So where were we?" he said looking back at me.

"Hmh" I said nodding.

"Her name was Shailene Williams, she used to be my neighbour, we were really close friends as kids" he smiled "She was always joking around and making fun of everything, I used to be a lot different back then, she teached me to laugh and have fun, she also helped me through my dad's problem, she and I were the only ones who knew... there were good times" he said with a lovely look on his eyes.

"I see..."

"I remember Nina getting jealous because she said I stopped playing with her when I met Shay" he chuckled.

"Cute" I said blushing.

"But she knew how sweet Shay was" he said with sadness on his look.

"What happened?" I dared to ask.

"My father had bad company, she was like a daughter to him and my mom too of course"

"Hmh" I nodded.

"After Shay's death..." he took a pause I gasped.

Shailene is...

"My father fell into alcohol harder and he commited suicide a few months later" he said playing with his hands, nervous.

"But- How did-"

"Shay die?" he interrupted "She was kidnapped and then murderer..."

"What?" I asked shocked "Did you ever find the-"

"Murderer? No" he coldly said.

"What about the cops? Her family?"

"Her family moved out after the incident, my mom strictly took us out of school and home schooled us, me and Nina, for our safety, I didn't last long though" he chuckled "I was stubborn so my mom agreed to put me back in school but with one condition: don't make any friends" he let out a sigh.

"Why?"

"Because it wasn't safe, so I became the bully everyone knows" he let out a small smile "I made bad friends, not really friends but I began to hang out with them because you know, having bad company makes you a bad influence, a bad influence makes people stay away, rumors run fast so it was the quickest way to stay in school unnoticed"

"But everyone knows you either way, as a bully" I stated.

"True, but no one runs into me wanting to be friends" he said glancing at me.

"That's also true..." I said with a sigh.

"That's why I kept pushing you away but for some reason you kept on coming, and you being here, it's the most dangerous thing you could have done" he said upset.