Realisation comes slow

Jack was teaching Will to sail. It wasn't going very well. Will had no idea of what he was doing and Jack wasn't helping either, the evidence being the bunched up sail. I set the bag down and gave the rope a good yank, freeing the trapped fabric. Jack went silent, taking the hint, and moved to the wheel. Will glanced back worriedly,
"Here they come." He said. Jack grinned. I snatched the bag back up over my shoulder and we scurried to our hiding places. The Interceptor expertly sidled alongside the Dauntless and the guards stormed aboard. I heard James calling out orders as Jack snuck out from his hiding place to the ropes and, grabbing hold of one, swung across to the Interceptor. Will followed after an impatient shove; courtesy of me. I gripped the rope in my hands and didn't hesitate to push off. However, I had used a bit too much power, causing a wince as my bare feet skidded on the wood. Jack hurried up to the wheel while Will cut the grappling hook ropes holding the boats together. I pulled down a sail and the ship rocked as it began making its way to the open ocean. To freedom.
"Thank you, Commodore, for getting us ready to make way! We would have had a tough time on our own!" Jack called to James, taking off his hat in farewell. The sound of gunfire rang out and we ducked for cover. But it soon ceased and we crawled out once more. Jack stood at the wheel while Will tried to figure out how to sail by himself. I was about to get to work when it hit me.
I was on the ocean.