Chapter 22

The next day, Dre came to visit Aaliyah. He was still mad Aaliyah, so he was barely taking. They were playing spades with two other people. 

One of the players put their card out. "You know it's okay to smile", she said to Dre and Aaliyah.

Dre and Aaliyah looked at her.

She was a white woman in her mid-40's. 

"Storms do come, but at the end of the day they clear. Some storms take longer than others, but as long as you know sunny skies will come always keep that smile on your face, which they will because this place is great", she said.

The woman thought that they were sad about Aaliyah having to be there but it was more to it.

Dre looked across the table at Aaliyah as he put his card out. Aaliyah looked at him then looked back down and so did Dre.

"You guys a couple?", the other player asked. This player was the women's friend visiting her. He was a man.

"Married", Dre responded.

"See that's what I like to hear. A young committed to each other", the woman said

Aaliyah smiled a little.

"There we go. A smile", the woman said.

"I see what ya'll doing", said Dre as he put his card out and took the cards. "Tryna distract us"

"I guess it isn't working because yall won", she said.

Her friend chuckled. "My hand was horrible", he said.

"So was mine", she replied. "But I did mean everything I said"

Dre nods.

"It was nice playing with you two", she said as she took her deck out cards.

"Same to you", Aaliyah said.

The woman and man walked away.

Dre sat back and looked at Aaliyah.

Aaliyah leaned over and looked down and sighed. "Dre, I don't know how many times I have to tell you that I'm sorry", said Aaliyah before looking at him. 

"I wouldn't have done that. Apart from a plan of not, Aaliyah. I wouldn't have done that", Dre said.

"It's not like you were perfect throughout this whole relationship", she replied

Dre leaned on the table, still looking at Aaliyah. "at least I didn't lie about it. I kept it from you, yes. but when you asked, I told the truth", Dre said.

Aaliyah was quiet.

Dre sat back. "I can't even trust you because you've been keeping stuff from me and lying to me throughout this whole relationship. You taking drugs, talking to your ex behind my back, lying about killa...What else don't I know?", Dre asked.

Aaliyah shook her head. "I'm not... I'm not keeping anything else from you", Aaliyah said.

"How am I supposed to know that? I don't because I don't trust you", Dre said.

"Stop saying that", Aaliyah said.

"No", Dre said.

"Just stop, please!", Aaliyah shouted.

Dre looked around and saw one of the workers coming over.

"I'm sorry. We're fine", Aaliyah said before they walked over.

The worker nods and walks away.

"I love you, Aaliyah and I never found anybody I can connect with as much as you and I want you do be my wife but...I just need time to myself", Dre said.