Chapter 59

"So you have a job working as an assistant when you could work with me and make more money", Carmen said. "That does not sound right"

"Carmen, if I want things to change for myself I need to change my environment. The environment that I've been in my entire life wasn't doing anything but bringing me down", Aaliyah said.

"Is that what that therapist told you?", Carmen asked. "I mean come on Aaliyah, a person's past is what makes a person. I've been through the same shit that you have been through"

"Carmen no you did not. our parents dying yes, but being raped? no. Being on the streets and go days without food? No. Being with our mom? No. When did not go through the same shit! I've had it worst", Aaliyah said.

"Okay. You may be right but stuff like that needs to make you stronger", Carmen said. "And honestly, you do go through setbacks but you are becoming stronger"

"If I was stronger. I could keep a man", Aaliyah said.

Carmen didn't say anything.

"But... I think a divorce is the best thing for us", Aaliyah said.

"...you're taking this divorce better than I thought", Carmen said.

"Well, I have had enough bad things happen to me so this isn't worst", Aaliyah said.

Carmen nods.

"I have to go to work. It's my first day and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot", Aaliyah said. "Im tired of Dre paying for this apartment because I just feel like it's just something he can throw in my face when he gets mad about something"

"Okay", Carmen said. "I'm right behind you"

Carmen and Aaliyah walked out.

"What made you do the whole therapy thing? When you were in rehab, that was your least favorite thing to do", Carmen said as they walked to their car.

"...I guess that's the first step of changing. Doing things you never wanted to do before", Aaliyah said.

"Yea. Where is my sister?", Carmen asked.

Aaliyah chuckled. "I'll talk to you later Carmen", Aaliyah said.

"Okay then", Carmen replied.

--------------------------

Aaliyah got to work and Deshawn was sitting at the desk that she's supposed to be sitting at.

"Good morning, Mr. Turner", Aaliyah said holding a cup tray with two coffees in it.

"Goodmorning, ma'am", Deshawn replied as he got up and looked at her outfit.

"This is okay right?", she asked referring to her outfit.

Aaliyah had her hair in the same style as yesterday. She had on a long sleeved blue blouse, black pants and some blue heels to match her shirt.

"Perfect", he said.

"I never really had a job like this", Aaliyah said.

Deshawn looked at her.

"But that doesn't mean I'll be back at it", she said as she sat down the coffee on the desk. "I'm good at just about any job that I'm given"

"See that is the spirit you should keep with anything and everything else in your life", he said.

Aaliyah nods as she changes the subject. "I brought you coffee", she said as she sat in her chair. "I didn't know how you liked it so I just got you the same thing I got"

"Thanks", he said.

"No problem", she said. "So what all do I need to do"

"Just answer the phone, make appointments, cancel appointments, and pretty much whatever else I need to be done", he said.

"That sounds simple", she said.

"Pretty much", he replied before sipping his coffee. "Oh yea. This is exactly how I like my coffee"

Aaliyah smiled. "Good", she said.

"But I do not have my first client until 11 so I thought that I show you around on the computer", he said.

"Okay, cool", Aaliyah said.

So, Aaliyah finished out the day good. It did get boring at times but Deshawn have her an idea to help those boring moments go by. He recommended her writing out a list everything bad in her life and a list for everything good in her life.

Deshawn came out of his office. "So how was your first day?", he asked.

"Good", she replied.

"You done with those lists?", He asked.

"No.. not yet", she said.

"Okay. Take your time", Deshawn said as he looked at his watch. "We won't talk about it until next week anyway"

"Late for something?", she asked as she got up and gathered her things. "I'm hurry up"

"Take your time. It's not like I wanna go anyway", Deshawn said.

Aaliyah looked at him. "May I ask where?", she asked as they walked out.

"This little party", Deshawn said. "Well a get together"

"That sounds fun. Why don't you wanna go?", Aaliyah asked.

Deshawn pressed the button for the elevator.

"Well it's my brother's way of showing off and bragging about all of his accomplishments and I'm sure it will be nothing but couples like the last time, so conversations get a little awkward", Deshawn said.

The elevator door opened and they walked in.

"You don't have a girlfriend?", she asked.

"Not at the moment", Deshawn said. "Before it was because of school and now it's just...I don't know. I guess these women up here are a little different than in Atlanta"

Aaliyah nods. "You are right about that", she said.

"But it's nothing like a drink won't fix", he said. "Not that I get drunk, because I don't. I just have one drink"

Aaliyah chuckles.

"I'm setting a bad example huh?", Deshawn asked.

"Deshawn how about I just come with you... as friends. I may have a lot of things going on but I know how to adapt to my surroundings", she said. "Besides...I could use a different setting right now...new people or something"

"...if you're okay with that then I don't mind you coming with me", Deshawn said.

The elevator door opened and they walked out.

"I was heading there next so... you wanna ride with me?", he asked.

"Um sure", she said.

Deshawn and Aaliyah walked out the building.

Dre still had Aaliyah's location on his phone and he was driving there because he was trying to get in touch with her. As he drove by, he saw Deshawn opening the door for Aaliyah and Aaliyah getting into his car.

Dre was getting a little mad but he knew they were separated. He only showed up to her location because he was nervous that something wrong, but she seemed fine so he continued to drive by as he looked in his mirror at Deshawn's license plate.

TO BE CONTINUED....