Chapter 17

When Carmen eventually found Aaliyah, she had overdosed. Carmen was just in time because Aaliyah was still alive when she got there. It was until Carmen came into the hotel and she began talking to Aaliyah, than Aaliyah passed out.

Dre and Carmen were in Aaliyah's room while Aaliyah was still knocked out.

"If you would've told me this shit when you realized it, none of it would've happened!", Dre shouted. "I dont care what she told you, you knew damn well she was lying"

"Well maybe if you paid attention to her more, you'd know", Carmen said.

Dre got more mad. "If you were a better sister, you wouldn't let her be laying in a hospital bed again", Dre said.

Aaliyah slowly began to open her eyes.

Carmen walked up to Dre and looked at him. "You think that's supposed to hurt me?.. huh? The only thing is you're just saying that because what I'm telling you is true", Carmen said.

"You lucky we're in this hospital", Dre said.

"What? Gonna threaten me for the hundredth time?", Carmen asked. "Let's be real, do you even have the guts to do that anymore?"

Aaliyah starts coughing.

Carmen and Dre look at her.

Aaliyah looks over at them but could barely keep her eyes open.

Carmen walked to Aaliyah's bed. "Hey Liyah", Carmen said. "How are you?"

Aaliyah didn't say anything.

Dre pulled up a chair and sat down on the other side of Aaliyah's bed.

"I'm sorry", Aaliyah whispered.

"Sorry about what mama", he asked

"I can't- " , Aaliyah said softly as she wanted to cry but couldn't.

"You can't what? Aaliyah?", Carmen asked.

"I can't do this anymore", she said. "I can't"

Dre grabbed Aaliyah's hand. "Baby, whatever is going on, we are going to push through this together", he said.

Aaliyah shook her head.

"No? Why?", he asked.

"You shouldn't have never came Carmen", Aaliyah said.

"So you could die?", Carmen asked.

"Yes", Aaliyah replied.

Dre looked down.

Carmen starred at Aaliyah.

"Just get out", Aaliyah said.

Dre looked at Carmen and then back at Aaliyah. "Come on Liyah, she-"

Aaliyah cut him off. "Both of you", Aaliyah said.

Dre starred at Aaliyah. "...I'm not leaving you", replied Dre.

"I want to be alone", Aaliyah replied.

"But Aaliyah-"

Dre interrupted Carmen. "Carmen, just listen to her", Dre said before slowly getting up.

"That's the same mindset that didn't help her in the first place", Carmen said.

"Carmen!", Dre said.

"Im not leaving", Carmen said.

"Carmen please", Aaliyah whispered. "Just tonight"

Carmen looked at Aaliyah for a moment. "...okay", she said.

Dre leaned over and kissed Aaliyah forehead.

Aaliyah touched his arm and Dre looked at her.

"You don't want me anymore do you?", Aaliyah asked.

"...of course I want you Aaliyah. I love you no matter what", Dre said.

"Even if I'm like this", she asked.

Dre looked at Aaliyah. It's like she couldn't keep still.

"Yes", Dre replied. "This is my fault and I'm sorry. I should've told you about the plan before"

"It's not your fault...I've been taking stuff for a while now", Aaliyah said.

Dre made a face.

"The antidepressants didn't work", Aaliyah said. "Never worked when I was younger and they definitely don't work now"

"Wait , so this was going on months before your wedding, yet after Jada?", Carmen asked. "So my house wasn't your first time?

Aaliyah sat up because she realized Jada wasn't there." Jada. Where is she?", she said.

"She's okay. She's with Killa but I'm going to get here when I leave here", Carmen said.

Aaliyah laid back down and started crying. "I'm such a bad mom", Aaliyah said.

Carmen started tearing up a little. "Aaliyah you are not a bad mom. Depression is no joke and you can't control the thoughts and feelings that you get, but drugs aren't the answer and you are going to get better", she said.

Dre watched Carmen.

"...I remember when I found mom laying on the floor the time she overdosed...I had to stay with kennedy. I'm going to be like the very thing I tired to fight. Even dad knew that", Aaliyah said.

Carmen didn't want Aaliyah to go down the same road as their mom. That's was one of the things she was worried about. Before their dad died, he told Carmen to keep an on Aaliyah and she basically failed him.

"You're not going to be like mom", Carmen said.

"I already am like her", Aaliyah replied.

"No you aren't!", Carmen said.

Aaliyah ignored Carman and looked at Dre and he was looking at her hand.

"I don't... I don't know where it is", Aaliyah said.

Dre looked at her. "What?", he asked.

"...my ring", she said.

Dre didn't say anything.

Aaliyah looked away. "... can I be alone guys?", she asked.

"Fine", Carmen replied. "...I'll see you tomorrow?"

Aaliyah nods.

Carmen walked out.

"I'm sorry", Dre said.

"This isn't your fault", Aaliyah said.

"It is... Carmen was right. I didn't pay enough attention to you", Dre said.

"Dre, yes you did. I was just too stubborn to accept it", Aaliyah said.

"If I was paying enough attention I would've known what you'd been doing", Dre said.

"...I learned from the best", Aaliyah said.

"Where did you get the stuff from anyways?", Dre asked.

"...long story", she said.

"I got all night", Dre replied.

"Dre...it's a long story", she repeated. "...you're not going to do anything but go act a fool"

"It's not like I can go to Atlanta right now", Dre replied. "But I guess it doesn't matter right? Because you aren't doing it again"

Aaliyah didn't say anything.

"I'm coming to get you tomorrow and after that you're not leaving my sight", Dre said.

"Don't you think that's a bit over board?", Aaliyah asked.

"No", Dre said before kissing her forehead.

Aaliyah sighed.

"I love you. Have a good night", he said.

"...I love you too", Aaliyah replied.

Dre left and Aaliyah closed her eyes.

TO BE CONTINUED...