XLIII. MY UNKOWN LOVER

I sat in the parlor, beside my sister Elena and beside Elijah, across from Stefan. I'd told them all what I'd found out after Elijah left the night before, about Klaus being his brother, about the original family, about the actual curse, about everything.

"Tonight is the full moon." Elijah said from my right. "We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse."

"Lyssa said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake?" Stefan questioned, as I swallowed hard, thinking of what would come of the next twelve hours or so. "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

Tonight, I would die, sacrificed alongside a werewolf and vampire, in order to break a curse I'd had no choice in being apart of. It made me think of Katherine, made me think of running. But, I wouldn't do that. If I ran, he would just kill everyone that I loved, and then, what would I have? Nothing, but an empty hole in my heart where the people that I loved were supposed to be.

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline." Elijah explained. "The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid."

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon spoke up as he walked into the room to join us. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon..."

"No." I said, shaking my head. "Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." I never wanted to go through that again - I never wanted to lose her, again. The sacrifice needed to happen in order for Bonnie to be able to use her powers to kill him, without killing herself. If she tried to take him on her own - who's to say she could actually kill him?

"I'll write her a great eulogy." He retorted, and I couldn't understand why he was still being so stubborn. It was going to happen whether he liked it or not, he could support me, or he could leave. I didn't need him there, not if he was going to be like that.

"It's not an option, Damon." Elena pointed out.

"Alright," Stefan looked back at Elijah, ignoring his brother and it made me think back to something that Damon had once said. "how do we break this curse?"

He'd been so upset that I had been comparing him to Stefan, that he couldn't be Stefan, and I'd said that I didn't want that, that I had never wanted him to be Stefan, but maybe he'd been right. Maybe I was trying to make him into Stefan, and that wasn't right.

But, he didn't have to be like Stefan, in order to support me, to be there for me.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward." Elijah continued. "The ingredients, so to speak, you already know."

"The moonstone."

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do we fit into it?" Elena asked the original vampire.

"The final part of the ritual." He pulled out a wooden box. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgängers...to the point of your deaths." Damon eyes flickered over to me, as Elijah opened the box and pulled out a vile.

"And that's where you come in." I announced.

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So, we'll be dead?" Elena asked.

"And then you won't."

"That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" Damon scoffed, before looking over at me. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"