069 / Answer the Question

"Bill?" "I'm awake." "Answer the question."

++++

"Give that back." "You aren't hiding anything are you?" "No..." "Why'd you hesitate?" "I didn't. I'm just tired." "Hmm." "Don't hmm me. Give me that back." I squish his cheeks as I grab my phone.

"Let me look through your camera roll." "It's mostly birds. Some of me. And the other losers." "Let me look." He chuckles unlocking my phone, holding it up to my face.

He taps the camera roll app. Looking through pictures first. "You're right. It is mostly birds." He mutters finding pictures of the losers and me.

"Why is there a picture of me? I don't remember you taking this." "Beverly asked what you looked like the first day we talked. Moving on." I cover my red face up.

He scrolls through the small amount of videos I have. Stumbling upon one that's about four minutes long, nothing but a black screen. "What the hell? I don't remember taking that."

He taps on it softly.

"St-Stan? Where'd you go? Stan? You didn't leave, did you? Please don't be gone. Stan? You left me? Please no." He whimpers.

I catch him staring at himself in the reflection of the black screen. I can't tell what he's feeling right now...sadness? No. Confusion? Maybe? Horror? Possibly.

"Stan? Bunny? Did you leave?"

"You didn't leave?"

"No Bill. I wouldn't leave you alone." "I hate being alone...please don't leave."
"I won't...I promise."

He lets out a soft sob.

"Hey hey hey. Don't cry." "I don't want you to leave...please don't leave me." He cries a bit harder.

"You recorded me?!" "What no! My phones been messed up recently. I promise I wouldn't do that!" I defend myself. "How am I supposed to believe you? I b-bet there's more!" My face softens as we both notice his stutter.

"Hey...I'm sorry. I didn't know it was recording." He takes a deep breath before laying back down. Another video.

—phone call recording

Bill

S: What do you want?

B: I need...I need you to come p-pick me up.

S: Are you drunk?

B: Bunny, please?

S: No

B: W-Why?

S: I know better than to drive you home Bill.

B: I d-don't understand...
His words slur.

S: Cause you'd invite me in and I'd be yours again

B: Maybe...Maybe I want you to be mine again

S: Bill I'm sick. I'm not coming

B: Ha...You're...You're pretty funny you know.

S: I'm serious

B: And I'm drunk s-s-sitting in a tree.

S: Richie's on his way.

B: N-No...I wanna see your face...your small and pretty face. It's so pretty.

S: Thanks I guess

B: You're so perfect. Y-You, know that right? Your hands. Oh my god, your hands! They're so s-small. And sometimes cold...I can warmth-them up when they are...it's great.

S: Bill you're drunk

B: You're not letting m-m-me finish. You're so perfect. I fucked up...I messed up my chance with the most beautiful person ever. Stan?-

The video cuts off. Once again I see his face in the reflection of the phone. He goes to say something. Instead, he stays silent.

"I wasn't trying to be a dick." "Is that your way of apologizing?" "Maybe?" He shrugs leaning his head onto my shoulder.

"Did you really mean all of that?"

No answer.

"Bill?" "I'm awake." "Answer the question."