life in death (tomarry)

title of chapter alludes to the english poem written by samuel taylor coleridge with my own spin on it! the ending is completely different and a lot was changed to fit my narrative, so apologies to anyone who comes across this and happens to know the true story. I sat and wrote this in one sitting because I couldn't help myself, hope you enjoy (:
tomarry

The day had been warm and the seas ever so rocking in their pattern. There had been no sudden rise in tide and the waves were the same as they always were.
However, everything changed.
The wind began to pick up quickly, and the clouds began to darken almost immediately upon the sudden change in air.
The crew panicked aboard the skip and, in their haste, headed south to avoid the onslaught of wind and water that would follow.
The ship was fast along the treacherously rough waves, and soon the crew began to see mist cover the ocean's rips and tears of the surface.
The air began to prickle around them, and it felt heavy.

The ship was surrounded by ice and it would no longer move. It was cold, too cold for where the crew had been trying to go.
Tom felt panic fill his being as it never had before. They had never ran into this sort of issue and, with Tom's experience, he had never thought this could even occur.

The icy masses littered the sea and all was silent except for the gentle slap of water against the wooden ship. The crew all looked at each other in confusion, their once sweaty faces now becoming pale and their teeth beginning to chatter as they began to talk among themselves of a plan.
The sound of the ice groaning filled the air, and the cracking began to fill and ring ears of those listening.

It was then that a large bird appeared and cut through the heavy mist and fog, and the crew all looking in amazement at the being.
The crew began to cheer, as if they had believed the albatross would save them from the doom of the sea'a fatal ice trap.
Tom heard the whispers that this was a sign of God and the prayers that were quickly uttered in thanks.

The bird was flying in large swooping circles and it disappeared briefly, to which Tom realized the ice was seemingly being split into two!
The ice crashed into the ocean and groaned as it slid against its other pieces. The sound was deafening, and many of the crew covered their ears.
Tom looked curiously at the bird and did his best to tune out the ice, his blue eyes never once leaving the bird that took flight.
The helmsman steered them past the destruction, and soon enough, a wind began to appear.
This wind was different from before, and no longer did it smell of rain.
Tom felt his body ease as the ship began to move once more.
The ship was steered back north.

The albatross did not cease in its flight, and continued to follow the ship even days after the event.

Tom was wary.

It was night when it happened.
Most of the crew had gone to sleep, though some remained on the deck.

Tom climbed the steps that led to the deck, a crossbow resting upon his shoulder as he lightly made his way in his boots.
The albatross was on the deck, it's large body nestled against the many boxes that had been placed by one the large poles for the sails.

He lazily took the crossbow with both hands and trained it on the great white bird.
A strand of hair fell in front of his forehead, and he felt himself tremble. He felt his arms begin to shake ever so slightly.
The man heaved a sigh and took a breath, righting his aim.
His finger brushed against the trigger.
He pulled it.

The bird let out a deathly squawk, and its eyes began to glisten over as Tom dropped his arms.
The bird looked at him as if it had known why he had done it, as if it looked at him in judgement.