Chapter 13

(No purse or sweater)

Janie hears her dad call for her that Emmett is there. She curses mentally, knowing her dad is meeting the guy she actually kind of likes. Janie puts on her jacket and scarf before lacing up her boots and going downstairs.

"I'm here," Janie says. "Hey, Emmett."

"Hey, Janie," Emmett says. "I was telling your dad I'm taking you to dinner."

"And I approve," Dennis says. "Be good."

Janie nods and she leaves the house with Emmett. Janie looks at his Jeep for a moment before he helps her climb in. He's too big to fit into her tiny car. Janie sits on her knees when Emmett goes off road and she looks around at the trees until Emmett parks. She spots a picnic laid out and she looks at Emmett.

"Come on," Emmett says.

Janie blushes slightly at the thought of a picnic with Emmett but she jumps out of the Jeep regardless and she walks over and joins him on the red and white checkered blanket.

"I thought I was saved by an Angel," Emmett confesses.

"When you were turned?" Janie asks.

Emmett nods. "I was turned in 1935. I was out hiking in Tennessee, my home state, and I was mauled by a bear. Rosalie found me. I literally thought she was an Angel. She brought me to Carlisle. Begged him to turn me and here I am."

"I'll have to ask Tobias about when he..."

"Tobias wasn't turned by Carlisle," Emmett says. "You should ask him for his story. But he was turned before he found us. There are some terms I'd like to go over with you. Compagno."

"Mate," Janie repeats. "Like soulmate?"

"Sort of," Emmett replies. "It's much like Alice and Jasper, Rosalie and Tobias, Carlisle and our mother figure, Esme. Mates are made for each other. They're usually vampires, though. I guess you're different."

"I'm a mate?" Janie asks. "Who's?"

Emmett rolls his eyes dramatically. "Take a wild guess."

"I'm your mate?" Janie guesses.

"Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!" Emmett sings, earning an eyebrow from the blue-eyed, blonde beauty before him. "And the other yet, is cantante di sangue."