Chapter 31

It was the end of March when the test of the Cullens came back to Forks, but Emmett waited until mid-April to go see Janie again. He wanted to give her time to cool off and she's been going to school as a senior.

Emmett stands in front of Janie's home, hesitations to go up the stairs. He remembers what Tobias told him. She held strong even after her dad left with her baby brother and adoptive mother. Emmett climbs the stairs, but the door opens revealing Janie.

"Hey," Emmett greets.

"Come in," Janie whispers.

Emmett steps into the house and he sees the five-month-old baby girl chewing on a frozen teething ring. Rosalie is both mad and jealous that Tobias got to meet Norma before her, she still hasn't met her yet.

"Excuse the mess," Janie says, Emmett feels warm inside at the familiar female, Texan accented voice. "She's teething, and I've been so alone..."

"It's okay," Emmett reassures her. "She's cute."

"Yeah?" Janie smiles. "She's five months. If you'd have come three days sooner, you'd probably be seeing my wolf."

Emmett looks at his feet. "I'm sorry for leaving," he says and he looks back up. "I know you won't forgive me right away. But I'd like to be there for you from now on, now that I'm back."

"Okay," Janie replies. "That's fine. Is Esme at home?"

Emmett nods. Janie looks at Norma and she smiles wide as she picks her up. Norma squeals happily and Janie goes upshairs somewhere and comes down with a dressed baby. Emmett runs over to the house.

"Janie's bringing Norma over," Emmett says and Rosalie jumps up. "And she wants to speak with you, Esme."

"Alright, dear," Esme coos. "I hear her car."

Rosalie rushes out and when she returns, she is cradling Norma to her chest and she sits beside Alice. Janie walks in with an amused smile.

"She stole my baby," Janie pouts.

"Sorry, Janie," Rosalie muses. "I haven't met the lovely girl yet."

"Esme," Janie says. "I'd like you to become babysitter for my turning days and school."

"I would be honored," Esme replies.

Tobias comes downstairs and he sees Rosalie with the baby. "Now, that's a sight I like to see."

Rosalie smiles up at him. "I finally got to meet her!"

Because Rosalie turned her attention elsewhere, Norma Lee's out a shriek and Rosalie looks at her, wide-eyed, and rhe baby smiles.

"Ou, you little!" Rosalie coos. "You did that because I looked away from you, didn't you? Yes, you did. You're just like Emmett already."

"Hey!" Emmett gasps. "I am not like that."

"You can be," Janie replies.

Jasper returns from a hunt. "I thought I smelled you."

Janie smiles at Jasper. "Hello, Jasper. Welcome back."

Jasper walks over and he embraces the child of the moon. Janie smiles into the hug before she pulls back and she hugs everyone else but Rosalie and Emmett. Rosalie won't let her because she's too busy holding Norma and getting acquainted and not Emmett because she is just looking at him right now.

"Forgive him," Edward says as he enters the house. "C'mon, Janie. You know why we had to leave."

"Actually, no, I don't, but.." Janie smiles and she walks ver to Emmett and she hugs him. "I've lost too many people lately. I'm not losing you guys again."

Emmett relaxes as Janie hugs him and he hugs her right back as Rosalie talks softly with Norma as Tobias joins her side.